View and Edit Document Itself in its Corkboard Counterpart

These ideas will likely take some major programming but I thought to put it out there in case someone thinks it’s not all that bad.

As it stands, the way in which you edit documents, is, well, you open up the component in the binder, and to your right pops the file to work with in the editor. As it stands you can look at a maximum of two documents simultaneously, with the whole split screen feature. The thing is, what if you need to look at more than two documents simultaneously? Sure you can combine all your ‘scrivinings’ together and view them as one continuous document with breaks in between. But because of scrolling, it’s somewhat cumbersome and you can’t really look at all the files side by side. Especially if the size of each scrivining is large, it really becomes cumbersome when trying to look at more than two scrivinings simultaneously (in many cases, you simply can’t because of scrolling). There’s also the ‘quick-ref’ button that allows the scrivining to pop out and become it’s own window. While I find this feature nice, I also I find this messy when trying to work on more than three documents at once. I know, I know, who the hell does that? Well, usually I don’t, but in the creative process I have found inspiration in previous drafts within a project that end up being future drafts of a project, and having everything out in the open seems logical.

It would be interesting thus if there was feature that allowed one to look at an entire scrivining within the ‘flashcards’ or whatever you call them right from the cork-board. It’s a very neat way to look at everything without things getting messy. In all honesty I rarely use the flashcards in the corkboard; they just always seemed somewhat cumbersome. Now that I am on the topic of the cork board, it would be interesting if the flashcards acted in the same way bubbles act in scapple. That is, you have the capacity to drag them anywhere around the screen, and when you drag one card over another card, out pops a line that connects the two. In this way, I think the cork board emulates a real cork board, with a few bonuses from technology.

I’m not sure if you can do these things already but it’s just a thought for future iterations of your product.

Connections between cards in Scrivener wouldn’t really have any meaning in the context of the rest of the application, so that’s not something… on the cards. (Badum.)

However, a future version of Scrivener will allow you to view more documents, including in the Inspector… But more on all this next year. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to using Scriv 3.0 then!

How big is your monitor? In my experience, screen real estate is the biggest obstacle to working with large numbers of documents at once.

Katherine

macbook pro 15" . I think reading from the cards in cork-board mode is feasible though.