View drafts side by side?

I’ve just finished the first draft of a sci-fi novel written in Scrivener. The word count tells me that it is 15,000 words long. It needs to be about four times that. I realise that I need to go through it gain and flesh-out the characters and locations and add-in some sub plots.

I have a 27" iMac and what I would like to do is have the draft and a second draft side by side on the big screen. The only way I can think of to do this is to save the first draft and have it open as one document and create a new document for the second draft. Is there a better way of doing this? Can I have two drafts of the same document on the screen at the same time without all the sidebars?

TIA

You can view a snapshot of a document either in the inspector (which you can drag out to be rather wide) or you can drag a snapshot to the header of an editor to view it (but not edit). I don’t think you can have a scrivenings session of more than one snapshot however.

Another option is to use Documents->Duplicate->with Subdocuments… to create a copy of the entire manuscript. This has the disadvantage of being editable (you might mistakenly edit the wrong version). Definitely take a snapshot of all the documents before doing the duplication.

Finally, you could compile to a PDF and re-import that document to view side-by-side with the draft you’re editing. You might want to enable titles on all levels in the Formatting pane of compile to make it easier to search through the document for a given scene/chapter.