viewing imported .pdf files

Hello! I’m a new user and so far I have been very impressed with the functionality of Scrivener - so much so that I’ve pretty much made a complete switch from Word. Particularly useful to me is the ability to import .pdf files (mostly articles saved from jstor) and attach them to particular projects so that I can very quickly switch between windows for writing and reading/researching.

My problem, however, is that when I open said .pdf’s in Scrivener, the font looks like a bad scan of an old fax of a bad scan - distorted and difficult to read. Granted, many of the articles in jstor actually /are/ bad scans of old faxes :slight_smile:, but this is happening to documents that, when I open them in Adobe Reader, look as clean as if they were originally created in the program, not just scanned in. Also, Scrivener seems to slow down quite a bit when I’m looking at a .pdf - for example, when I click on the scroll bar to quickly skip to the next page of a document there is at least a 3-second delay before it responds. Sometimes it doesn’t respond at all. (If it’s helpful to know, I don’t have this problem with regular Scrivener text files, and I don’t have it when I open the same .pdf in Adobe Reader, and it has happened with every .pdf I’ve tried to read in Scrivener so far).

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a function of Scrivener not being Adobe and thus not being able to “read/display” objects like .pdf’s as well as it does text documents? I’d really hate to have to “Open in External Reader” every time I want to quickly search for and/or reread a couple sentences in a research doc. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you have! :slight_smile:
Best regards,
Jeneviive

Out of curiosity, which version of windows are you using? Granted, I’m on WINE, but up until the last edition before the release, I could view PDFs, but can’t after version 053, if memory serves. Do you have issues with pdfs on other programs? (Not the bad JSTOR fax, of which I’m quite familiar. :wink: )

Hi, thanks. I’m not computer savvy by any means, so I’m not sure if this is the answer you’re looking for: when I open system on the control panel it says I’m using Windows 7 Home Premium. Below that it says Service Pack 1. I bought the computer in January 2012 and it was loaded with whatever was most current at that time.

In answer to your second question - no, well, at least, not to my knowledge. I haven’t had problems reading .pdf files elsewhere - but the caveat to that is that I don’t think I’ve tried to read any except when I’ve saved them from jstor and then opened them in Reader. Otherwise, I just read them online using IE.

And oddly, the problem only seems to be affecting certain documents. I just ran across another pdf that, in Reader, looks practically identical to one of the problem files. This one, however, is fine when I open it in Scrivener - looks just like it does in Reader - no font corruption at all.

Does that help at all? Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I’m still hoping someone can answer my question above. Even if the answer is, “Deal with it - Scriviner is not Acrobat so the files aren’t going to display as well,” that’s fine, I just want to know if the problem with reading pdf files in Scriviner is something that can be fixed by a setting change or an import process or something, or if it’s something that I just have to live with. Thanks!
Best,
Jeneviive