Visual Overview for Character / Theme / Subplot

This isn’t something I’m personally invested in or bothered with either way, but… it seems to me that what’s being asked for could be included by a “Show Label Colour In > Scrivenings” option? perhaps as the paper background - not sure how it would work with custom backgrounds, perhaps either disabled when using the option or as an overlay at some transparency. (ETA: A coloured border in the left or right margin would probably also work, and provide less clashing with custom backgrounds or text colour being unreadable, now that I think about it.)

Actually, that could have multiple uses, since it’d let you set PoV character or such and see it as you were typing - oh, red, must be Jeff’s turn for a spin. Probably others, my brain is mush right now and I still have 60 pages of The Passion to read before my tutorial tomorrow.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw in my two cents because I had a thought. No idea whether it’d be practical or useful or not, but there you go.

Seems to me temporalranger is on to something here. Just my 2¢.

Cheers,
Mats

Or you could just go to the inspector, and in the window just below the index card that says General you can change the name of the first item to POV and assign each POV a label color, then save Labels for slightly more exotic plot tracking. Label colors can be set to show on the index cards when that view is selected; the whole card will be the color of the particular POV (or whatever you set that first item to read). Makes it easy to see who’s doing what to whom and why when you spread all the cards out across the screen.

If that makes sense. I changed the First Item to POV so long ago I no longer know its original purpose.

PoV was a hypothetical suggestion for an alternative usage of the feature, not the original purpose of the suggestion, which, as the rest of the thread before my comment outlines, was a graphical way to let people see what weighting they’ve given various sub-plots, character arcs, what have you. How many cards are coloured red on your corkboard tells you how many scenes, true, but it doesn’t give an idea into what percentage of your text is devoted to the ‘Triwizard’ subplot as opposed to the ‘Voldemort is coming back’ or the ‘Harry has a crush on Cho’ subplot, because scenes aren’t a standard length. Being able to show label colour in scrivenings, especially when combined with scrolling out, would allow you to see roughly how much of your work was being used by each arc/PoV/whatever other label you wanted to use, and thus whether one was taking over more than it should/was too clumped/etc etc.

Plus, not everyone wants to keep the inspector open all the time to be able to see the index card at the top; particularly on the 11" Air, that can hog a fair amount of the available screen real estate. So, I suppose my second point would be more ‘would also allow label colour to be seen in sparser/more pared down layouts’ than PoV specifically. :wink: But again, that’s just me thinking of a secondary application for the Show Label Colour In > Scrivenings suggestion, not the reason I suggested it in the first place.

Hope that clarified things a bit. :slight_smile:

Think that you were pretty clear first time round, temporalranger.

I understood “Show Label Colour In > Scrivenings” as referring to label color in scrivenings, not index cards.

Good idea, for the reason you mentioned: an index card is always a 3x5 or whatever, while a scrivening/scene (according to the accepted screenplay conventions) varies in length which should correspond to the time-length of the scene (one minute per page being the standard).

Thats why color coded scrivenings gives a much better idea of how the script “plays out” than color coded index cards (even if that too is a potentially useful feature).

Cheers,
Mats

Thank you :slight_smile:

I just clarified because ahab seemed to be reading the offhand brainstorming as the reasoning, so I thought maybe it was less clear than I thought… and now I’m going to bed, because it’s after midnight and I have an 8 am class in the morning which I am going to be dead for otherwise.