way to locate link to note position within editor?

Hello!

I’m in the process of testing out Scrivener, and I’m liking what I’m seeing so far, but I do have one question. I’ve been looking through the forums for a while now and can’t seem to find an issue similar to mine. I like that I can set a link on a certain word and use that to type a note that then appears in the Notes folder in the binder, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to then see what those notes connect back to or to navigate back to the point where the link was inserted. That is, I have to comb through the original document looking for hyperlinks, and that can be tedious. Is there a “find next link” type of option or a way to click on a note and have it show me where the link to it was set? Or is there another way to write notes (that preferably aren’t contained inside the document itself the way annotations seem to be) that I’m not seeing?

Thanks!

Hi,

In the note document created, have a look in the references pane in the inspector - there should be a reference link back to the original document there. I say “should” because I can’t remember if this is something present in the current release version or something I only added for the next free update. The next update (early next year) also adds an alternative annotation system where notes are stored in a pop-up window.

All the best,
Keith

I do like the sound of that :slight_smile:

Have you explored the inspector yet? Each document has a “document notes” area, in addition to a synopsis card (displayed as a 3x5 note card), a references area for links to internal documents/external files/web pages, keywords, and other metadata. These stay with the document at all times.

If you haven’t already (and even if you did when you first opened Scrivener) I recommend going through the interactive tutorial available in the help menu.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Keith, I don’t see the feature you’re referring to, but both of the things you mentioned for the next release sound great! Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.

Janra, I did check out the tutorial, but the “document notes” section seems to be more of a document-wide note rather than something you can attach to a specific sentence or word. Of course, I could be wrong about that. Scrivener seems so feature-rich that I’ll have to spend some time with it before knowing all the ins and outs.

Thanks again!

I think that’s the case.

As an aside I’d rather like multiple document notes like Ulysses.