Way to move the comment box?

I’m wanting to add comments to my text in scrivner, but when I go to do so, the comment box covers the text. Is there anyway to move the box so that I can see the text I’m commenting on while I’m commenting on it?

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

While I’m not L&L, a long time ago, I created a situation where this happened. Not sure of your version or even if it’s possible now, but it was due to preference decisions I made where my colors were the same and overlapped each other.

You can check this in Scrivener → Preferences → Appearance in the relevant areas like “Textual Marks”, “Editor” in the colors tab of each vs. the various page and text colors.

In any case, you can “Hide Markup” by ticking the box, “Comment Highlights” in the Textual Markup area mentioned above. Then, when you “Hide Markup” by going to View → Text Editing → Hide Markup your comments will still be there, but you won’t see the comment boxes or anything associated with them. You can just enter them in the inspector.

If this doesn’t help, I’m pretty sure a screenshot would be helpful for L&L to see exactly what you’re experiencing, since screenshots are like support request gold.

AFAIK, there is no way to accomplish moving the comment pop up in iOS. Sorry, @rrlewis.

Just realized that my question was a bit confusing. I can see the text typed into the comment box just fine, the issue is that the comment box itself covers up what I’m commenting on. In fact, when you create a comment, the page is automatically scrolled so that what you’re commenting on is always covered-up.

Not a huge deal, but makes the comment feature less usable for me. Seems like it would be better placed on the far left side. Maybe in a future version! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Have you considered using inline annotations instead? You can look them up in the iOS Scrivener built-in tutorial, in the “The Editor” document.

I haven’t! I’ll give those a look, thanks!

Update: I gave inline annotations a whirl. It certainly works, but I’m finding it to be too distracting to the main text, given the amount of notes I’m wanting to add.

That said, I did realize that with the ‘typewriter scrolling’ function off, I can pre-position the text so I can see it and the comment at the same time. It’ll have to work for now!

Glad to be of help!