Weird paragraph formatting I can't get rid of

Hi,

I have some text that was copied and pasted from somewhere and it has strange margins on both sides that I can't figure out how to get rid of in scrivener.  I've tried everything I can think of, including copying and pasting into "TextEdit" on mac and then trying to paste back into scrivener.  Nothing seems to get rid of the formatting.  Is there no "remove formatting" command in scrivener?  Also, some text that I've pasted into the notes area has a white background that is obvious against the yellow bg of the notes section.  I can't figure out how to remove that either.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Have a look at this article, in our knowledge base. It explains how to reset formatting to defaults, where the defaults are set, and how to paste without formatting.

That in particular will not be cleaned by the tools mentioned in that article. This is probably a text highlight, and those commands are specifically programmed to respect inline formatting like italics, font colours and highlights.

To get rid of highlights, simply select all of the text and use Format/Highlight/Remove Highlight. You can also click on the square with a red line through it, from the highlight tool in the Format Bar.