Weird Symbols Upon Compilation

Hi all,

First of all, many thanks to the brilliant creators of Scrivener. I am in the process of sending out my debut novel manuscript to various literary agents, and I couldn’t have done it without this software. And a big hello to all the amazing writers in various stages of their writing careers!

Lately, I have been having some issues when compiling to .docx format. I have been noticing that many of my hyphens have become weird box-shaped symbols upon compilation. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can remedy it?

I find it a little disconcerting that I have to manually go through the compiled document to remove these odd symbols to make sure it doesn’t show up in the final manuscript. Wondering if anyone is encountering the same?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend!

Ian

Hello Ian,

I have not had this happen to me, but my first guess is that it might be a font issue. Have you tried compiling the project using different fonts? (One of the compile options is “font override” so that no matter what font you’re using in Scrivener, you can easily change it to something else when you compile into a .pdf or .docx or whatever format). My guess is made a little more likely if you are using hyphens (which are longer) and not dashes. For me, Scrivener automatically converts double dashes to hyphens as I type, and not all fonts include a hyphen.

I hope this helps, and good luck,
-Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply! Unforch I’ve been using TNRoman and compiling it in the exam same font. And the symbol in question is definitely a hyphen ‘-’. Wondering if anyone is getting anything similar?

Ian