What are your plans when Windows 7 support ends?

How about a discussion on what to do ahead of the Windows 7 end-of-life that is coming next year? What are readers doing or suggesting to get ready or to make changes in their systems? I have 2 Win 7 Home computers that I would love to keep and have been looking for safe ways to do that - along with other alternatives if I need to think about replacing them such as Linux, Apple, or even not using an administrator account - just a regular account - so that a possible hacker or malware can’t install anything without permission.

I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found a discussion on that topic, so it would be great to get one started now - while there is still a lot of time to plan. Thank you.

Run Win7 in a virtual machine running on Linux. Cinnamon Mint is the distro most Win7 users find comfortable and is easy to maintain.

I have converted several friends/relatives who don’t depend on Windows-specific applications to Cinnamon Mint from Windows and calls for support have dropped to almost nil. They are folks who can get by with just browsing the Internet and a little light word processing with Libre Office. Win7 in a sandbox is only necessary if, like me, you run stuff like InDesign and the Oxford English Dictionary that don’t play nice with WINE.

The end of the support doesn’t mean your windows will suddenly stop working. So, what exactly are you worried about?

The problem is that when Microsoft patches security flaws, they will patch for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. The flaws will exist in 7 but will not get patched. In a normal month, Microsoft patches 50 or more security holes. It is fairly easy for hackers to see the patch and compare it to the pre-patch code and then figure out how to exploit the flaw. The result is lots of attacks on those flaws a couple weeks after the flaw is patched.

What this means is that it will be dangerous for anyone to allow a Windows 7 machine to access the Internet after the January 2020 patches.

My recommendation for my clients is replace the machines. Period. No exceptions. Don’t put insecure machines on the Internet. You could continue to run them if they were completely stand alone.

However, this has nothing to do with Scrivener.

Yeah, I’m kinda with Steve. My plans when Windows 7 support ends:

1. Sob uncontrollably for a day.
  2. Long for the good old days of Windows 95.
  3. Long for the really good, really really old days of DOS.
  4. Update to Windows 10 (which supposedly will work on my hardware) and get on with my life.
  5. If it doesn’t work on my hardware, get what new machine I can afford and get on with my life.

But whatever happens, I’m keeping this Logitech solar-powered keyboard, which has a magically smooth and responsive action, seeming to suck the words right out of my fingertips. A writer’s dream.

Hrm… original post is about a topic that could be posted on just about any forum. It’s the first post ever by the user. Second post by the user is…

Methinks the spammers are getting a little more sophisticated; that first post fooled me into thinking they were legit.