What Changed - default width notes

Okay, firstly, thanks for all of the data you’ve sent. I’m going through that along with the video you sent and will see if I can come up with anything interesting.

One thing worth noting is the copy and paste issue you pointed out: that’s expected. Older boards have less padding around the text, and Scapple is programmed to respect that when opening these older files. Copying and pasting notes into a newer board will “upgrade” the padding, and cause the smaller sizing and word wrapping issues you spotted. So that part is fine, that is where the Auto-Fit command would come in handy, and that is precisely why we respect older board settings so the layout doesn’t change, as you see it change on copy and paste.

That difference is in and of itself probably the most interesting and impactful change between how an old board would work and a new one, and as such is the most promising lead—even though on the surface it wouldn’t seem to matter that the padding being slightly different would change whether or not a note auto-sizes at all upon conclusion of editing.

Further troubleshooting:

• One thing I do not see mentioned specifically: did you get a chance to check and see if the older 1.4.0 version I referred to also demonstrates the bug?
  • When you get a chance, I’d be curious to see if this problem reproduces in a clean slate condition on your machine. That can be tested by creating a new Mac account just for the purposes of this test, logging into it, leaving pretty much everything default that you can, and seeing if the problem persists in that environment. If it does not, you could audit any background utilities you use on a regular basis, by logging out of your main account, logging back in with the Shift key held down immediately after password entry, and keeping it held down until fully logged in. That will suppress start-up items. Scapple can then be tested with only it and Finder running, and if that is clean, gradually bringing things back up to how you normally run the system, testing between each launch to see what, if anything makes a difference. It’s a bit of a long shot I’ll be honest, as it would seem unlikely to me that any external program could make a difference like this—but given how some things can impact accessibility functions (like window enhancement tools), we can’t entirely rule it out.

Try setting your default font to “Helvetica Neue” (from “Helvetica”).

I just bought Scapple. The autosize is only intermittently working. Settings have autosize selected. Scapple 1.4.2 . Mac M2 Pro running 14.2.1 .

Sometimes, the autosize works great. Other times it doesn’t resize when I end the note (a note being the single bubble within a document, right?). Often, the first note in a series of additions is autosized, but subsequent notes are not autosized. Sometimes, if I go back and edit an unsized note, it will resize after I edit the note. It’s inconsistent and frustrating.

Here is a link where I’m able to reproduce it once or twice: https://youtu.be/L9ZKO38imqY but it is pretty inconsistent. In my other file, it happens more. I included a key press display, which is what you see pop-up. Also, I switched to another window for a moment and edited that out because yall don’t need to see my desktop :wink:

Hmm, on Windows you get this behaviour when you double-click to start a New Note and type nothing, so “New Note” appears with an extended cell. Typing anything else auto-sizes the cell to the text’s length.
In your video, it happens with “New Note” as the default text placeholder and in some other cases as well.

Thanks for the report and video. I’ve merged this with the existing bug report for it. We have two known conditions that can break auto-size, one being very simple and that is having more than one line in a note. The second is more difficult, what you are seeing. It seems to happen more when zoomed than not, and might have to do with rounding issues internally. The ticket does have a fix posted, so what I’d do is keep an eye on the public beta thread, because that’s where fixes for this will pop up first.

1 Like

On my larger map, it happens about 50% of the notes. Would you like a video of that? Or would it be rehashing known information?