What do you think? - Help me evaluate.

I am evaluating scrivener for a project and would like some advise from those who are more familiar with it.

The project requires me to write online learning materials for a national training provider in the UK.

The project works like this:

1. The subject text (writen by myself and other members of a team) write the text material into containers (I envisage using the text components of scriverner for these), each will contain between 250-400 words of text. Approximately 70,000 words in total (there are several of us working on this!).

2. There are several container types, all will be treated slightly differently by the online assembly team, who will be inputing the final draft material into a Content Management System (we are simply the writers). I envisage using the Edited ‘Label’ meta-data field for tagging this information to each text component. It is important that this information can be printed in the final draft given to the online assembly team, as they will use it for importing - I see I can do this with scrivener.

3. Each text component also has a status depending on its relationship with other elements of the online system. I envisage using the Edited ‘Satus’ meta-data field for tagging this relationship. It is important that this information can be printed in the final draft given to the online assembly team, as they will use it for importing - I see I can do this with scrivener.

4. If scrivener had more editable ‘meta-data’ fields like the ‘staus’ & ‘Label’ fields I would be able to assign two other levels of information, which are also required, but I guess you can’t have everything.

5. Images and references (we need to provide external web site link information on a text component basis) will need to be linked with each text component. Again, this ideally to be printed in the final draft - I understand I can print out images, but probably not references.

6. It is likely that as the project progresses, we will need to re-order and chop and change the material - which I understand scrivener will allow me to do easily.

So it seems scrivener is pretty much what I want, what do others think? Does this project sound like something scrivener could cope with ok?

Any issues/limitations/annoyances people expect the projects nature might throw up?

Thanks,

Chris

The beauty of SCR is its flexability. Depending on what you want your final outcome to be and also what you want your working environment to be.

The idea would be to define your approach to meet your final outcome.

YOu could create One project and subdivide it using folders as sections and documents inside each folder that coincide with the parent folder for that section. You can use labels to also denote separation as well

or

YOu could create a SCR PROJECT for each section, further dividing that section by folder, document and label and then out put each SECTION as an individual project. Then combine them for a finalized document.

Books are broken into chapters. Each chapter can be a project and after everything is done they are compiled into a “book”

YOu could even have 1 Project that is the master project that could “track” the progress of each section for a master guide/outline.

I do not fully grasp what it is exactly you wish to achieve because my background and use is different but I have found that experimenting with “empty projects” and inserting dummy data helps me build a “structure” before I actually began inputing my work. That way I know beforehand what the final outcome will be before I even began organizing and inputing my data.

Hope that helps?

Sorry, haven’t got time to reply in full right now, but a couple of points that might be worth considering:

Whilst there is only Status and Label fields, you could use keywords to apply more meta-data as required.

Instead of using the references table, you could keep a list of references in the notes pane clickable URLs can be copied there). Notes can be printed out with the text.

Best,
Keith