What happened to the ignore grammar?

When I upgraded to 2.0 I lost the choice of “ignore grammar”. What happened to it. I checked all the preferences but I can’t find it. Please help.

In Preferences>Auto-Correction, leave the “with grammar” box at the top unchecked. Also make sure grammar checking is turned off in Edit>Spelling and Grammar (this one is per project, rather than global).

Hmm, do you mean in the ctrl-click menu? If so, the ctrl-click menu is now completely custom, and so I think I may have missed putting this option in as I never use the grammar checking feature so had no idea it appeared in the standard Apple contextual menu. Yep, just checked, and I missed it. I’ll add this for 2.0.2 (it’s too late to fix this for 2.0.1 as that will be out tomorrow).

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith not Kevin. I do use it, and I like to be able to set text to ignore it. In writing dialog in the novel setting this feature works well as we do not speak grammatically correctly. Something like “If it doesn’t, I’ll start planting the corn tomorrow.” underlines as a possible sentence fragment. With proof reading and progressive drafts the grammar ignoring, for me anyway, is helpful.

S

No problem, it should be easy to fix, it was just an omission.
Thanks!
Keith

Well, every thread here degenerates into linguistics sooner or later. So I suppose I can ask: What is supposed to be ungrammatical about “If it doesn’t, I’ll start planting the corn tomorrow”?

(I’m a grammar-check-hater and linguist, by the way.)

From a human perspective, nothing. We can interpolate “it”. The grammar checkers are just rule engines, not real “thinkers”, which means that they are literally interpolating each rule as if no other sentence exists. Which leads to the question of the vague use of “it” in a clause that appears completely unrelated to anything else, which I believe would be grammatically questionable.

I can evidence this as an error as seen in a conversation I just had with the daughditor:

But then I am not looking forward to the next several hours and may be unusually irritable.

Has the Daughditor been reading Alice in Wonderland, by any chance? … The mouse’s story in Chapter 3[/i]:

I have never, ever, used the grammar checker as the time I turned it on, in Word 5.1a, it marked every sentence of mine as ungrammatical … but then I’m not an average American 13 year-old, so …

The only person I’ve come across who really did tame it was a lecturer teaching English Language courses at an Australian university. This was in Word 5.1a days. He had written a vast, custom rule system for the grammar checker, to pick up all the genuine mistakes made by his students — many of them immigrants of non-Native English-speaking origin — which he gave to them all and would not accept any piece of writing which still had any mistakes in it. He found that in that way they had to work out for themselves what was wrong by having to discover how to change their text to remove the underline, not just be told how to correct it, with the result that they learned more quickly to eliminate those mistakes. But so much work setting up!
:slight_smile:
Mark

Yes, but I can’t see what rule you could give the grammar-check that makes this ungrammatical, while ruling innocuous sentences like ‘He likes her’ grammatical.
Or to put it another way: a sentence having a pronoun in it without an obvious referent is the normal state of things. Assigning referents to pronouns is not to do with grammar but with language use.

Not knowing what the rule set it, I can only assume that there is a rule much like Word’s where any non-obvious clause is labeled “ambiguous”. Most of my use of grammar check is in technical or business where the checker is pretty much on target 90% of the time.

For prose… I wouldn’t use it. Unless you want to sound like you are an engineer.

HI, So I downloaded the 2.0.2 update and can’t find the “Ignore Grammar” in the right click menu. (Inserting a pouting face here) Was it forgotten in the update or am I missing something?
Thanks

Err, it’ll be in 2.0.3! Out soon! (Sometime in January, once Keith is back from holiday.)

Okay. No problem really. It does help me with some of my questionable sentence structure as it has been many many many years since I took any grammar classes. Just getting into writing somewhat seriously and it saves me trying to find and quickly interpret grammar lessons online.

:smiley: Just be aware I will keep reminding until it is included in an update. :smiley:

Sue

No need for any reminding - I’ve already done it, so it will definitely be in the next update, which I’m hoping to have ready at the end of this month.

I just updated and so Thanks for Ignore Grammar coming back. :smiley:

I know I am hanging fire walking into this, but when I see a bed of hot coals, I just have to walk it.

The above seems entirely right to me.

I think what would prompt the warning is the fact that some term following ‘doesn’t’ has been elided. As in, ‘If it doesn’t , I will plant the corn.’

One could tussle about what it means for something to be grammatical, but I suppose on one good sense of the term, the sentence is not genuinely grammatical without some appropriate term in that position. It is merely reconstructable in the context by a hearer, and so serves in communication.

So too with:

‘Tyler, would you like to go to the theatre?’
‘I would.’

The last flies only because the elided but quite necessary phrase is easily recoverable in context and reconstructed by the hearer. ‘I would .’

But even though this is all so, it does not mean that ‘I would’ is a grammatical sentence. A tell-tale sign of this is that, arguably, it does not express a complete thought.

–Greg

P.S. Disquisition on ‘it what?’: If in the face of '‘If it doesn’t, I will plant the corn’ one asks ‘it what?’, this is not different essentially than asking ‘Bob who?’ if the sentence had ‘Bob’ in place of the ‘it’. And the aptness of that ‘it’ question does not anymore indicate an incompleteness in the sentence than the aptness of the ‘Bob’ question does. In both cases, there is a term in the sentence which refers to the subject (though one of them gets its referent contextually)–it is just that one needs to understand what the term refers to. Not so with the aptness of the ‘Doesn’t what?’ question. It asks after something which the sensibility of the sentence requires but which has no representation in the sentence at all. Ditto for the ‘Would what?’ question in relation to an assertion of ‘I would’.