What is the latest Version? Program Hangs...

What is the latest version of Scrivener for Mac OS X? I don’t see this anywhere on the home page or sales page.

I dumped 18,000 words into a new project file. If I delete a word the program hangs. Working under El Capitan.
Have never seen this behavior before.

You can always check for that using the Check for Updates… menu command off of the main Scrivener application menu (or if you purchased from Apple then you’ll have to open up their store program and check through that).

As for this specific problem, it probably has more to do with the text than the version of Scrivener you are using. If the text is formatting, for example coming from Word, there could be some exotic formatting that is confusing the text engine to the point of hanging. I would at the least try an Edit/Paste and Match Style command instead of regular Paste, into a blank project, and if that works fine. The other issues that are commonly found in rich text documents are bad images and obscure control characters.

I’ve purchased more than one license but “Check for Updates” is not an option on my current installation.
I have 2.7.1 but I still have no idea if this is the latest or not.
The problem is with the document. This was a pdf that was supposed to have been ocr’d, but somehow the images were retained in the document. I didn’t think it was possible to put images in the Draft folder under the Binder, but there they are, albeit within this pdf. Note that the pdf wasn’t imported, this was a “select all”, “copy” and “paste” exercise using Preview.
I do not know how to remove these images automatically, so I removed them manually. I’d like to know if there is a way to remove them automatically or avoid pasting them in the first place without losing source formatting.

Okay, if you have 2.7.1 (which is the latest) that means you bought from Apple, and you’d check for updates using the app store software, or visit the Scrivener store page within it to check for the latest version. Unfortunately Apple provides no way for us to check that for you from within the software.

Oh sure, you can put images into the text content just like in a regular word processor. And they will usually paste in as well if they were in the content you copied. The prohibition extends only to putting images or PDFs directly in the binder, indented under Draft. You have to put them elsewhere if you want them listed in the binder.

I can’t think of a way to do that, sorry to say. I think cleaning up the source material as best you can is the right approach. You might try another PDF viewer, too, some may not copy images in the first place. It may depend on the PDF, but I just tested Skim and it pasted formatted text without images, from a PDF that had both originally—no editing.

For future reference, or for anyone else reading the thread, you can always find the latest version through our Downloads page, here:
literatureandlatte.com/download_mac.php

Katherine

@Katherine: that page only lists the current version as 2.7
I have 2.7.1
So the listing would appear to be incorrect.

Amber V. wrote:

“Oh sure, you can put images into the text content just like in a regular word processor. And they will usually paste in as well if they were in the content you copied. The prohibition extends only to putting images or PDFs directly in the binder, indented under Draft. You have to put them elsewhere if you want them listed in the binder.”

What then, is the purpose of this prohibition?

2.71 is an App Store-only version, as it fixes a bug specific to the sandboxing that the App Store requires.

App Store customers should always be able to obtain the latest version through the Purchases tab of the App Store software.

Katherine

The Draft folder can only contain RTF files because those are the only files that the Compile function can assemble into your output document. The purpose of the prohibition is to prevent massive customer confusion when files in the Draft folder fail to appear in the output file.

Katherine

@Katherine: OK, now I’m confused. I recently put together a book and ended up putting all the images in an Appendix at the end of the text. It would have been much more interesting to scatter them through the text.
So, how would I do that given the images/no images prohibition permission?

As AmberV wrote up above, you can paste an image into an RTF file (in the Draft folder) wherever you like. You just can’t put an image-format file (JPEG, TIFF, etc.) directly into the Draft folder.

Katherine

@Katherine:

–Will rtf allow 300 dpi CMYK image files to be included?
–Can these images be brought in natively, rather than in an imported rtf file?
–Will Scrivener scale these images properly during compile?

Please see Section 15.5 in the Scrivener manual for more information about images.

For full-size print quality images, you will probably want to use linked images to keep the project size under control. See subsection 15.5.3. However, yes, you can paste a 300 DPI image into the RTF file.

Yes, images can be placed in the project (in the research folder) in their native formats. However, you will need to embed the image into an RTF file to place it in the Draft folder. Whether you do this inside Scrivener (copy and paste) or outside Scrivener (imported RTF file) is really up to you.

You can resize images in Scrivener, but it will not do so for you. For this reason, if you plan to output to multiple formats with different resolution capabilities (print and ebook, say), you might want to use linked images with a different folder for each output format.

Katherine