What is the purpose of non magnetic backgrounds ? How are they used?

Monterey , Scapple latest version
I have been using Scapple for a few years and very much enjoy it. I read the manual cover to cover and have used most of the features.
I still can’t understand in what context one would use non magnetic backgrounds. I am constantly adding, removing notes, adding text to notes, adding removing connections, resulting in notes overlapping or added to the non magnetic background.
thanks in advance for your time and help

I haven’t used Scapple enough to know for sure, but I would say that in this case they’d simply be a visual cue ?

1 Like

yes, but as things progress quickly on a canvas, the background basically becomes obsolete. There must be something that I don’t understand.

The broad answer is that the basic facilities of Scapple can be used for many different purposes.

I don’t know if these are the best sorts of examples, but… In the two examples here, we see an analysis of a particular story where the background rectangles are just creating three distinct spaces – which have meanings in the analysis. In the second case, the background rectangles are just used to make some boundaries and a grid on which the plot development tool is played out.

1 Like

I understand. Thank you very much for both the explanation and taking the time to post the illustrations.
I really like the background canvas (nothing to do with “backgrounds” as per our discussion), notably the horizontal and vertical lines and the colors. May I ask how you create such a canvas ?
thanks again very much

Turns out my grid backdrop is not made of background rectangles after all, but is a backdrop graphic prepped for the purpose. It is loaded as a “texture” (under Document Settings in the Scapple Inspector). Samples attached here.

1 Like

extremely kind of you. Exactly what I needed. thanks very much !

1 Like