What OS would you choose if you could trade right now?

I have the opportunity to get a new computer and have been heavily considering a Mac since I like Scrivener a lot (currently using the windows version), but certain things are holding me back.

My CD keys for Photoshop and several other adobe programs are Windows (though I will still have the old windows to use them on, until that dies) and I don’t know if the CD key is cross-platform. Likewise for Microsoft Word 2010.

BUT, Scrivener for Mac seems a whole lot nicer. And from what I can tell, even when V3 for windows comes out, Mac is still going to look better/get the most attention.

Would it be worth the hassle/money to get my new computer in a Mac instead of Windows?

EDIT: Sorry if this isn’t clear, but I posted here to ask people who were currently previewing V3 and had more experience with it than myself. I know folks in this forum are really quite invested in the future of Windows Scrivener, and some may even be testing it on Wine.

I’d go mac. But then I’m already a mac convert from linux/windows (back in '07 I think, maybe '04; I still use other OS in my everyday work but at home it’s all that overpriced apple product…). Your current windows product keys are not transferable, but may qualify for a discount, make sure you include that in your price estimations.

I switched from Windows to Mac five years ago. Worked “bi-OS” during the first few month but then slowly stopped using my PCs without really noticing it.
For me the seamless jumping back and forth between Macs and iPad-iPhone is what really changed my way of working.

Every answer you get to that question is going to be biased toward the respondent’s favorite OS…

I’ve been a MS/DOS then Windows user ever since my first computer back in the mid-eighties when I was starting out in the magazine publishing field. I tried the Mac once, and didn’t like it. I actually dislike Apple as a company (for many reasons), and avoid using their products. I tried the iphone when it was the rage, and got trapped into a two year contract, It was the worst two years of my cell phone using life… but, I’m veering off topic.

So, I guess you know what my answer is. “If you want me to switch from Windows, you’re going to have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pam

Obviously, or the respondent would have changed OS, right?

Like you I started off with MS-DOS in the mid-eighties, continued with Win 1.0 etc…

So did I, in the early 2000s. Got myself a white iBook with OS 9, upgraded to the first OS 10, but never really liked it. So I stayed with Windows until 2013. Unlike you I liked the iPhone from the start, and the iPad. So the switch to Mac was a natural step.

Windows.

Like you I have older Windows machines now, a desktop and laptop, both running Windows 7. What I’ve heard about 8 and 10 makes me quite happy to stick with that as long as possible. However, I also have a MacBook Pro.

Originally I got it in a fit of self-indulgence because I wanted Vellum. I’ve never compiled my books right from Scriv, always to rtf then into Word Perfect and print for editing and proofreading. Once out of Scriv, I never put them back. However, my way of formatting ebooks was no longer supported by Amazon, and so Vellum.

And I justified the expense to myself thinking I’d also then be able to use the “better” version of Scrivener.

However, the reality was I hated the Mac. Maybe it’s intuitive for those who never saw a computer before, but I fought it from the get go over the simplest things. Took a look at Scriv Mac, didn’t see anything so much better than the Windows version it was worth the struggle and only used the MBP for Vellum. It’s a wonderful program, and once in it the only struggle I had was to get things saved where I wanted as opposed to where the @#!* MBP wanted.

So Scriv 3 came out, and I really wanted to see what it was like, and there was the MBP sitting there, and I had by that time discovered that putting a real mouse on it and configuring it to act like a proper mouse solved a great many of my Mac problems.

So instead of just taking a couple of looks at Scriv 3 on the MBP I actually set it up the way I like it (I’m heavily into colors for labels, my own idea of best backgrounds, etc., and tried using it. That meant abandoning Scriv Windows because while I’ve downloaded the betas to see what they’re like, I’m not trusting any real work to a beta version. And the more I use 3 on the MBP the more I’m happy with the machine and system.

What I’ll do when the Windows machines give up the ghost I don’t know. Like you I have some Windows only programs I don’t want to give up. A couple are in the “pry from my cold dead hands” category. It would be nice to have everything on one system, but then having everything on every machine (I installed Dropbox a while ago) is like having more backup locations.

Have fun deciding and with the new purchase.

OS? MacOS hands down. But unfortunately you cannot (legally) run MacOS on non-Apple hardware, and Apple’s hardware decisions have frustrated me. I’ve used Mac since OSX Tiger (10.04) days back in 2006, but my late 2011 MBP won’t be able to run 10.14, and since I can no longer upgrade the RAM, can’t replace individual keys, and a handful of other hardware decisions, I’m abandoning Mac for the time being. To buy a Mac today that is as good as my modified $1300 late 2011 MBP would now cost me $2000. I like MacOS, but not enough to put up with their hardware choices lately.

EDIT -

The MacOS version will always be more polished and slightly ahead of the Windows version. However, the Windows version is still really good - the only thing better than it is the Mac Version. But I use Scrivener primarily for its organizational features and exporting features. Scrivener for Windows has always been just as useful for me for drafting, and now that it can export to .EPUB and .MOBI, I won’t regret switching to the Windows version.

I grew up on various Windows OSes, for years used exclusively Linux, currently have a Windows 10 laptop and a small Chromebook, and have effortlessly used OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) for schoolwork, since most of my classes last year took place in a Mac-only computer lab.

Honestly? I really enjoyed the ‘Mac experience’, it reminded me a lot of working with linux (fitting, seeing as they’re both Unix-based OSes). However, short of finding an extreme student discount or finding a secondhand Macbook that’s not several years old at this point, I’m not going to be making the switch to Mac any time soon. If, for some unfathomable reason, Apple decided to officially release OSX for non-Apple hardware? (yeah, right) I probably would actually take the plunge and switch. Or, at least, start dual-booting.

However, I think it’s also worth noting, for things like your Photoshop CD key, that Adobe has moved its most recent updates to a subscription-based system that’s honestly pretty affordable. I pay $10/month for full access to Photoshop and Lightroom, and can install it using my account on two computers simultaneously, whether Mac or Windows. Or, as I learned once while in school using the Macs in the class lab, both at the same time. I actually honestly like it, it lets me have completely current software at a price point I can actually afford. The full Adobe Creative Cloud? If you’re a student, only $20/month. It’s a steal.

Would I absolutely love to use a Mac for full access to the latest updates to Scrivener? Of course! However, I purchased my latest computer with the intent that it would be both reasonably affordable and last me through at least four-five years to come of heavy use for web design and development. I couldn’t meet both criteria with a Macbook that had the specs I wanted. I just couldn’t. So I had to make a pragmatic decision and go with my current Asus laptop. It means I’ll be behind on some things, like Scrivener updates, but that was taken into account when I made my decision.

I guess what I’m saying is: If you’re already familiar with Mac, or don’t mind the learning curve and the investment to get one, getting a Mac may be more suitable long-term, especially if you use programs that rely on visual accuracy of colors a lot (like Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign), since Apple screens are, in my personal experience, simply amazing for accurate color reproduction. However, if you don’t have/don’t want to put in the money to make that initial investment (which isn’t just the hardware, like you said - it’s all the software you’ll have to get all over again, too! Including a Mac license for Scrivener, don’t forget), or you don’t have the patience for the learning curve of getting used to an entirely different OS, I’d say it would be safer to stick with Windows at this point.

idk, maybe I’m just a heretic for both using and genuinely enjoying a wide variety of operating systems and only preferring Windows above anything else at this point because I’ve found ways to really customize Windows 10 to my usage and liking.

IBM JCL.

Just because. :smiley:

If you’ve been happily using Adobe creative software on Windows, then the main argument for getting a Mac–“superior color accuracy”–is baloney. You’ll have more choices and get more bang for your buck with a Windows machine. Unless there’s some very specific reason you need to be in the Apple ecosystem, or unless you really like a particular Apple laptop, it doesn’t sound like you would be happier changing.

I had forgotten this point, so thank you for bringing it up!

Thank you for the replies all! I have an iPad and iPhone, but for computers it looks like I’ll be sticking to Windows for now. You’ve all really helped me consider it, and I’ll probably be looking back over these again before I make my purchase just to make sure I have taken everything into consideration.

One last word…

[size=150]“Trust your feelings!”[/size]