What the heck!!!???

Hi, me again,

Again, I can’t get 15 minutes into scrivener without some weirdness obstructing my progress.

This time its ‘something about paragraphs’. I’ll start there because you folks don’t use or respect the common terminology of publishers, book designers, and those who depend on their language.

I have a document. I changed the basic formatting from the tools/options area using the ‘editor thing’, and then applied it to my text with the ‘convert thing’. You know, Calibri light 16, line spacing 1.5x, indent paragraphs, nice and airy like.

[you know, you have a product line. It’s YOUR product. There’s absolutely no reason you had to change the interface or functionality of your product because you want to deploy it to a new platform. Imagine all the problems you have caused yourselves, and us, by convincing yourselves that “windows people couldn’t possibly understand ‘aaapppulll’ stuff”! I mean, ‘tools/options’ is not actually hardwired.]

So this paragraph lays out on the page normally:

So the meaning of the word Shrine goes beyond a simple container, but emphasizes the power of the things contained, such as legal documents, decrees from those who have Authority and Power in themselves, or objects owned, or used by powerful beings, especially spirit beings. Therefore a shrine can also be defined as place that is considered holy or sacred because it is dedicated to, or watched over by, a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon, or similar figure of awe and respect,

But when I want to split the paragraph, then this happens:

So the meaning of the word Shrine goes beyond a simple container, but emphasizes the power of the things contained, such as legal documents, decrees from those who have Authority and Power in themselves, or objects owned, or used by powerful beings, especially spirit beings. 
  Therefore a shrine can also be defined as place that is considered holy or sacred because it is dedicated to, or watched over by a

specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon, or similar figure of awe and respect,

If I put a carriage return before ‘ancestor’, I get this:

So the meaning of the word Shrine goes beyond a simple container, but emphasizes the power of the things contained, such as legal documents, decrees from those who have Authority and Power in themselves, or objects owned, or used by powerful beings, especially spirit beings. 
     Therefore a shrine can also be defined as place that is considered holy or sacred because it is dedicated to, or watched over by, a specific deity, 
     ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon, or similar figure of awe and respect,

But If I try to add a space after ‘deity’ and press delete to suck the word ‘ancestor’ up to the end of the line… expecting the rest of the sentence to layout normally, then I’m back to the first format.

I cannot imagine how to interpret this behavior because you’ve created documentation that contains non-standard terminology. I’m imagining saying something about ‘paragraph formatting’ but I expect you’ll weasel out saying: 'sorry, the scrivener and his minions don’t do paragraph formatting because we believe line formatting is more authentic and fits in better with the Product Design, whose theme is ‘scrivening’, you know, 'scriveners are those who have scriven for the goal of eggsalads!

Anyway, I’m here at the key-thing, waiting to hear the happy news!!!

Thanks,

Kimball Johnson

Oh, I found something else…

When scrivener creates the crazy break in the line, and I try to get the text on the next line to connect to the end of the part of the sentence on the previous line by hitting a delete to bring the portions together, sometimes it will work… kinda.

What happens is that all the words until the next comma in the sentence, plus the comma, move up to the next line and layout following the strange place they previously broke on. But now it’s broken on this comma. And again I don’t know why or how to possibly pose a question in the language of ‘the Scrivener’.

And if the line is wide enough to allow another couple of words to fit on the line above, it might work again, but again, it measures off the words to the next comma. And it only moves up words that will fit on the line above that include the words in front of the next comma, and the comma itself.

So now you know what’s going on right? and you can explain it in standard publishing and word processing lingo, right? and you’re not going to say,… well, that’s not really in-cluuded in ouur cuurrent vuursion, at thiis tiime, you seeee, Windows is a kinda screwy platform and our application has a very unique character that really doesn’t come through unless you are an aaapppuull person. And we don’t see you in that way.

But still here at that key-whatever, ever hopeful.

Thanks,

Kimball Johnson

There is something weird going, but it’s definitely not Scrivener.
Did you copy and paste the said paragraph? And if you have pasted it, did you use “Paste and Match Style” or just paste?

Oy. You really know how to charm a community of enthusiasts who like a thing. :unamused:

Have you tried viewing the text with the “show invisibles” feature* turned on? It will show any special invisible characters, such as the carriage return character, tabs, etc… My guess is that you’ve somehow entered a few non-breaking spaces between some words, so that they wrap lines as if_they_were_all_one_word_instead_of individual words.

[size=85]* I haven’t had version one installed for a while as I play with the Beta of v3, but in the beta, the menu for that is View->Text Editing->Show Invisibles. Hopefully it’s not too hard to track down in v1.[/size]