What width edit area do you use ? (re Inspector)

I’m wondering how others compose.

When I write I find that I cannot compose well unless I narrow the width of the central edit area to a width of approx 12 words wide. If it is wider I lose track of my reading and thought process, perhaps it is from a lifetime of reading books of this width or perhaps from the brain’s ability to parse a line of a certain width. Same if I narrow it.

Why I ask is because I find it frustrating that when I toggle off the inspector, instead of collapsing and allowing me more screen real estate for other windows within or without Scrivener, the edit area balloons to the right and if I want to make use of that space I have to readjust the whole window … and if I want to see the inspector again I have to adjust all three again.

Doesn’t fixing the width do what you want?

[attachment=0]width.png[/attachment]

Thanks. It doesn’t stop the editor flying out when the inspector is toggled off. What width do people usually use ?

Using the fixed width does stop the editor flying out when toggling the Inspector on my MacBook and iMac. The Inspector fills the background space: the Editor stays at the 700px that I use.

I see what you mean (I had to untick Centre, and Full Screen Only)… but the overall window of Scrivener stays the same width :frowning: leaving no screen real estate :frowning: for any other use. This seems to be a feature…

For me, it works with Centre and Full Screen Only ticked or unticked.

It toggles the Inspector on/off within the space allotted to the Scrivener window. Personally, I’ve never expected it to resize the Scrivener window.

What you could do is save two “Layouts” — go to Window —> Manage Layouts — one with the Scrivener window full-width and with the inspector showing, and the other with no inspector and a narrower window to your taste. Then you can toggle between them from the Window menu … or give each of them a keyboard shortcut, to make it even easier.

Mr X

I solve this by using the Full screen mode, or whatever it is called (when you only see the text and nothing else). I have the ordinary SCRV window when I need to look at the Binder or Inspector, and switch to the undisturbed Full screen mode when I continue writing, with predefined width and text size (zoom factor).

Do you need to look at other stuff on the screen at the same time as you write, just not the Inspector? If not, you could arrange everything you need to see, minimizing the text part, and jumping back and forth between Full screen mode and all the other windows.

lunk - I agree with your points. I do use the compose mode sometimes but I also need to do revisioning work where I like to have access to the binder and other things

Does no one have a view on composing width ?

One somewhat “hidden” feature of Scrivener is that it uses this editor width value to determine how wide the project window will be when using the Window/Zoom command, or the corresponding “green” button in the Mac title bar. It will use this numerical value even if you aren’t currently making use of fixed width. What this means is that you can easily resize the window if things change within it to make it wider or narrower than you prefer. Note that even if you aren’t using “Fixed Width Editor” proper, this number always applies to the editor space alone, not the entire window width—so the software resizes the window in such a way that the editor will be that wide, in addition to the width of any visible sidebars. It will also double this value when a vertical split is employed, so that both splits respect the width value (assuming there is enough space on the screen to do so).