When compiled, my title page font is smaller than what I wanted

Hi guys! First questions here.

I have set my font for my title page as Din Condensed, font size 96. I am a complete newbie, but when I compile, it is small and a completely different font. Are there only certain fonts and sizes you can use?

Thank you!

You should probably pop open the interactive tutorial from the Help menu and and at the very least run through the two steps under “Get It Out There”. They will cover the basic philosophy of how Compile is designed to be used, and with a working knowledge of these basics, your formatting issue should be quite simple to solve.

It’s also worth mentioning that a lot of this will be done for you if you started with a project template though. For example the Novel template comes with a pre-fab title page that is all set up to leave the formatting as you designed it in the editor. It’s absolutely not necessary to use a template, don’t get me wrong—and everything a template does is something you can do as well from scratch—but it can be a little easier than building your own system from the ground up when just starting out.

What format are you compiling to?

The compiler usually applies formatting to files as they are processed, unless you instruct it to preserve the original formatting.

These videos might help:

literatureandlatte.com/lear … ategory=43

Slàinte mhòr.

Thanks for the tips!

And I was trying to compile it to paperback, PDF.
Also, the template just seems to very little while compiled. It’s plain and boring, so was just wondering why I can’t chose the font myself etc :smiley:

You should be able to select the font you want for a PDF, but what you see in the editor will be overridden by the compiler in terms of formatting, unless you preserve the formatting as the project is processed.

If I had a Mac near me at the moment, I could create a sample project for you to explain things, but unfortunately I don’t. The tutorial Ioa mentioned and the videos linked above should help.

Slàinte mhòr.

Of course you can change the fonts—for one thing you can set the global font at the very top of the preview column in compile overview. That’s the easy way—but Formats are entirely flexible. If you right-click on the paperback format in the left sidebar you can duplicate and edit it, and by going through the Section Layouts you can see how all of the fonts are set up, as well as the overall formatting and other decisions. Likely you’d only need to modify a few of those to get the look you want.

That’s all aside from the title page though. While the compiler can override formatting it doesn’t have to. Click Assign Section Layouts… at the bottom of the preview column to set how the different types in your project are formatted (or not). The “As-Is” choice at the very bottom is a good one for front matter like title pages. Of course this is all based on types, which means your title page should have a type set to it—setting that kind of stuff up is where the tutorials will help.

Attached is an extremely simple example, with one “title page” that consists of the letter “L” in a very large custom font. It has been assigned to a Section Type called “Front Matter”, which you can see in the Contents tab of the compile overview screen. In the preview, note that “Front Matter” is set to pass through formatting, while the “Chunk” type is set to format like a chapter break + text.
title_page_example.zip (81.7 KB)