When deleting a document...

…I find it not quite right (though at this point not unexpected) that it remains the current document in the editor, even though one is unlikely to want to further edit a trashed document.

What should happen in the editor when its document is deleted? I suppose going to the previous doc in the history? Or maybe to an adjacent doc in the binder?

Keeping it active can have a disorienting effect when, for ex, the deleted doc is a duplicate or an earlier version of, or is in any case is visually similar to, a doc you want to keep: Which one am I looking at?

That can be compounded by the binder not automatically keeping sync with the current doc (which is not at issue.)

Now factor in that the trashed doc also remains in the editor history.

It can get messy. More than once I’ve found myself mistakenly working with a doc that I had moved to the trash.

If a document is deleted, it should become inaccessible other than by making an explicit trip to the Trash folder.

The Trash is just another folder in the project; documents can be searched for, edited, and moved out of the Trash just as with any other folder. If a document is loaded in the editor when it is moved to the Trash, it remains loaded, the same as other Move To behaviour. Documents aren’t really gone from the project until the trash is emptied, at which point the document is no longer appears in the editor.

We do have plans to adjust the document icon for trashed documents to make it clearer that they are in Trash. You also can exclude trashed items from project search if you wish. You can also use View > Reveal in Binder to re-orient yourself if necessary.

I think that instead of creating another icon that needs to be visually differentiated and paid attention to, if would be much simpler (from a user pov, at least) to have an option that would fully quarantine the Trash from the rest of the project UNLESS the user explicitly goes to the Trash folder and performs folder-specific operations. (I know it can be excluded from Project Searches, in the beta.)

If the Trash is just like every other folder with respect to the accessibility, visibility, and integration of its content, then the only thing that makes it a Trash folder is its name. In that sense, the Trash folder differs from the others in three respects:

1. It has a dedicated “Move To” button in Shift+Del, (which ironically makes it more like a Favorites folder wrt ease of access)
  2. It has a dedicated “Delete All” menu command,
  3. it does not allow individual items to be deleted (which in many ways undermines the principle of the Trash folder as safe holding area for files between being on active duty and being totally disappeared.)

Only number 2 is something I’d expect to find exclusively in a dedicated Trash folder.

These give it a somewhat different status or profile compared to all other folders – slightly privileged, slightly handicapped. But unless that differentiation extends to its content being isolated from the rest of the system, then it’s not functioning as a real Trash folder, as that is understood (almost universally, I would think) in other programs.