When dual Outliners displayed, Inspector lock doesn't "lock"

I’m on Windows Scrivener 3.1.2.

When dual Outliners are displayed, locking the Inspector in place to an Editor doesn’t keep the Inspector locked to the Editor’s active document.

To reproduce:

1. Launch the Tutorial
  2. View > Editor Layout > Split Vertically
  3. Navigate > Binder Selection Affects > Current Editor
  4. Select the left Editor pane. In the Binder, select The Inspector and change to Outliner view (if not already)
  5. Select the right Editor pane. In the Binder, select Get Organized and change to Outliner view (if not already)
  6. View > Inspector
  7. Lock the inspector to the right Editor.

Scrivener should look like this:

1. In the right Editor, select Splitting the Editor. The synopsis displayed in the Inspector is for doc Splitting the Editor.
  2. In the left Editor, select Snapshots.

Expected behavior is that the synopsis displayed in the Inspector would remain Splitting the Editor.
However, the synopsis displayed in the Inspector changes to Get Organized. This is the bug.

ADDED -

This bug seems related to navigation operations when the unlocked editor is active.

Continuing with example above:

1. Navigate > Binder Selection Affects > Left Editor
  2. In the right Editor, select The Corkboard. The synopsis displayed in the Inspector is for doc The Corkboard. The “inspector locked” right Editor is active.
  3. In the binder, select any item. As expected, the synopsis displayed in the Inspector remains The Corkboard. Binder operations while the “inspector locked” editor is active do not exhibit the bug.
  4. Click the Header of the left Editor to make it active.

Performing any operation that changes the contents of the unlocked left Editor (Binder selection, navigating using Document History, dragging & dropping a doc from the Binder onto the left Editor Header, etc.) changes the synopsis displayed in the Inspector to Get Organized. Again, this is the bug.

Please let me know if I can provide additional info.

Best,
Jim

Thanks for the detailed report! I think I’ve got all of the edges of it worked out. It does require specific changes in the other split to trigger it. Actions taken while focus is in the locked split don’t trigger it—for example Alt-clicking in the binder.

1 Like