When I create a new text file in the binder, the program won't let me type into it

I can name the new file, but I can’t put anything into it. In fact, sometimes when I type letters, it toggles me to another area of the binder.
This isn’t happening with files that were already in my binder–I can add text to those. Just not to new files.
So weird. This is true of all 3 methods for adding a new text file.
I am running the trial version–could that have something to do with it?
Help!

Hi. Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
If you don’t click in the editor, it does indeed, for some keys, move the focus elsewhere.
You have to click in the editor after naming your new file.
Just like you have to click in the editor to edit pre-existing files.

1 Like

Make sure you’ve switched over to the text editor before you start typing. The way you describe how typing moves the binder selection around sounds to me like you’re still in the binder area, where moving the arrow keys would select different items, etc.

Just clicking into the main editor should ordinarily suffice. You mention being able to edit existing stuff fine, which is puzzling, because there is zero difference between making a new item and clicking on an existing item. In both cases you still have to move the cursor into the editor window.

1 Like

Oh, my goodness, that worked. I feel like an idiot, but I couldn’t have done it without you. I had tried that before, but I was clicking on the margin area in the text editor, which I must have adjusted to be very wide since my screen is wide. Double clicking in the middle of the page of the text editor finally worked. Thank you!

You probably have your editor set up like this in the options :
Inked2022-04-06 14_15_53-Window_LI

Oh yeah, hopefully some day they figure out how to make the margins clickable. You can also change their colour to be slightly different from the text editor, to help visualise where to click (in the Color tab of the same area as the screenshot in the post above mine).

Another approach is what I use most often: the Navigate ▸ Move Focus to ▸ Editor shortcut.

1 Like

Bless your heart. I have been having the same problem. Not clicking in the MIDDLE of the editor page. Thank you.