When I use iOS my images revert to full size

All is well on my OSX app and I have many image files that I have shrunk in size, but when I do some work on the iOS app any chapter that I type in, not even touching the images, changes the images back to their original full size. When I open the OSX version those images are also back to their original size. It’s very time consuming constantly resizing the same images dozens of times. Is anyone else having this issue?

This issue has a write-up in the knowledge base.

Thank you I will read through it. I tried searching the forum but was not aware of this archive of issues.

It would be great if I knew what any of this meant:

The most effective and easiest way of doing this on a Mac will be to make use of the Insert ▸ Image Linked to Document ▸ submenu, whilst storing the images themselves in the binder. Those who make use of a great number of images may prefer setting Link to images dragged from binder into editor, in the Behaviors: Dragging & Dropping preference pane, so that this is done automatically.

How do I create an image document?

What does “link to images dragged from binder into editor” mean?

Edit: I found the “link to images dragged into binder” and i dragged an image into my document and resized it nice and small, saved. Opened in ios. Went back to OSX, back to full size. So that’s not working…

I tried to resize my images to the size I want them in the document, but they are barely recognizable even when they are at the same resolution. When I move the full size file into the document and resize it to say… 115x75 it looks ok, but when i resize that same image first to 115x75 at 72dpi and then drag it in it is just a blur.

The same way you would import any kind of file, by dragging it into the binder from another source, like Finder, or by using the File ▸ Import ▸ Files… menu command.

The prefence is documented in Appendix B.4.4, Dragging & Dropping, pg. 776 of the user manual. This cross-references to the larger description of binder-linked images, in §15.7.4, Linked Images, pg. 420. You’ll find every single preference in the software documented in that section, should you ever wonder what something does or means.

To verify that the linking worked correctly, did you see an image in iOS? If it worked, then you won’t see an image, you will see an icon.

That depends a lot on how you resize it, and how big the image was to start with. When I downsize an image I usually apply a little sharpening afterward.

115px is pretty small too, only 1.5" across at 72 DPI. It could probably stand to be a little larger.

It also might be worth noting that “resizing” the image in your Scriv document is not changing the image file at all, but just adjusting its “presentation” in the doc. This means that in presenting to you that image, Scriv still has available all the image info of the full size file to draw from. Whereas, if you downsample your image itself and then import it (or link it) – the image file itself has reduced resolution and so less graphical information to draw from. There could easily be a visually notable rendering difference between i) fully rending a low-rez image and ii) smallishly rendering a hi-rez image.

-gr

I’m totally overwhelmed by this software. I’m 90k words into my book and have another 90k to go, and now I’m at a halt.

All I know is that I was dragging and dropping large images into the writing arae (i have no idea what a binder is) and changing the viewable size. I get that the full size file is still there. When I resize it first, its complete not recognizable. No sharpening is going to fix it. I need it to be small for what I’m doing. I need four images in a row and to fit them they need to be around 115x75.

I dont understand how “importing” a file is any different from dragging it into my writing screen.

"Appendix B.4.4, Dragging & Dropping, pg. 776 of the user manual. "

That sentence… that makes me realize I choose the wrong software. page 776? Are you kidding me? You can write 776+ pages of a manual but you can’t figure out how to make this image situation easy? This is not worth my time. This is just insanity. Thank you for trying to help but this is just nuts.

I know you expressed otherwise, but it would probably really help you to at least go through the interactive tutorial in the Help menu. The binder is just about the most fundamental concept in this program.

Here is a simple example of a linked image:

1. Drag your image file (the large one) into the big blue sidebar on the left side of your window. That’s the binder. Drag it into the “Research” folder.
  2. Now in the text editor, use the left mouse button to click where you want to display this image.
  3. Use the Insert ▸ Image Linked to Document ▸ command, and select the image you just imported.

Now test your sync. It should work fine.

I didn’t write the software, just the manual. But even so I fail to comprehend what writing a manual has to do with solving the problem of displaying an image at a certain size on a platform that cannot display an image at that size without actually resampling it.

If we did what you want, and made it “easy”, the result would be similar to the blurry look you get—merely by syncing. I think all things considered, most people are happier with the metadata (the size of the image) being changed than the actual image itself. It’s annoying, and it can be worked around or fixed without data loss, but at least it doesn’t damage your file just by looking at it!

I am able to reproduce what you suggest, as well as link to files. I verified that it shows the link icon on iOS. Due to the sheer amount of images already in my document it is far too time consuming to go back through and remove and re-add hundreds and hundreds of images. I simply will not be able to open those chapters in iOS. It’s a defect in the software that I will have to accept, or I will need to move my book to another application. That’s what it comes down to. It’s too big to correct.

It’s not too bad, going back and converting to linked as you go. Just drag the image from the text editor into the binder to make a copy of it there, then replace the one in the editor with the one in the binder. If you have that option I referred to earlier set, then dragging the image back from the binder makes a link. It’s two drags and a delete key to convert from embedded to linked.

You can open them in the iOS version, it doesn’t hurt anything, that’s what I was getting at above with the compromise we have to take here, and erring on the side of losing the size rather than the data. The size changes, but when you notice that happen, that’s when you can do the little drag back and forth dance to fix it once and for all. Just do it as you go, as you need to, rather than all at once; that’s how I’d approach it.

So if I drag them to the binder, then drag back from the binder to the text editor and replace it, can I delete it from the binder? If I delete it from the binder, where is it stored?

You wouldn’t want to do that. The very premise of this technique is that the editor itself does not store the image, the image is stored in the binder, and the editor points to that image. If you remove the image from the binder then it has nothing to point to.

You can double-check if an image is properly linked by double-clicking on it in the editor, like you would do to change its display size. You’ll find a “Reveal in Binder” button if the image is linked. This comes in handy if you have small thumbnail sized image and want to “magnify” it in the main editor. Since the image is stored as a full file in the binder, you get the entire editor to view it, zoom in, pan around, etc. And if you want to edit that image for whatever reason, you can very easily do so by clicking the “open in” button in the footer bar for the image, or by using the Navigate ▸ Open ▸ in External Editor menu command (⌃⌘O).

I use this method myself for most of my images (the others I link directly to the disk, depending on whether I need to the files easily accessible to other software). One of the things I really like about this approach is that you do have a list of your graphics easily accessible in the sidebar. It satisifies a common desire to have an “index” of images somewhere. And better yet given how Scrivener automatically backlinks to linked items, when you drag a picture into the editor with the link setting enabled, the picture itself will have a reference to the section in the Draft you linked it into. This reference will be located in the Bookmarks inspector tab (click the blue ‘i’ button, and then the bookmark icon). So not only will you be building an index of figures in your binder, you will be able to find an image from that location and then trace back to where it is actually used in the text.

In theory this sounds ok, but I have hundreds of images, so I suppose I will just have a binder with a ridiculously long list of images. I would much prefer the images linked to files, but that is just too time consuming. I will try your method. Thank you for your patience.

There are many good tools for organising lots of material in the binder (and keeping it largely out of the binder, too). Earlier I mentioned it being one of the central concepts of its design, and large scale item (or documents, if you will) management is definitely a part of that. I have binders with many thousands of items in them, and I rarely encounter that bulk as a whole, because I organise things into folders (and folders within folders within folders). Even if you put all of your graphics into one single folder, having that folder “collapsed” in the binder, by clicking the arrow beside it, means all of those hundreds of images take up no more visual space than one entry in the list: that folder. Click on that folder and you can get a nice corkboard thumbnail view of all the images you use.

Hopefully that makes more sense of the software. The left sidebar is a master index of what is in your project. It can be as detailed or as summarised as you require. It works hand in hand with the editor to grant you greater detail via the corkboard and outliner views. All perhaps things to gradually learn and grow into over time, I don’t mean to info dump, just to point out that this program was designed to handle huge amounts of research and written material. A few hundred files is it just getting warmed up. :slight_smile:

Oh and you’re welcome! And thanks for your patience as well. I know it’s no fun to have to switch workflows because of an unanticipated limitation in the software. We’ve all been there I’m sure.

Thank you, I think I can work with the folders full of images in the binder. I definitely use it already for organization of my book, but I didn’t realize it had more uses. The software is quite overwhelming, and I really only use the most basic features. Everything was happy until I got a keyboard for my ipad mini to keep me more productive when out and about. Hopefully keeping the images in the binder will also help with the lagginess of the text editor when lots of images are present. It really seems to choke when there are a lot.

It shouldn’t, unless you keep the text in very looooong subdocuments with lots of images in each. You do know that you can split the text in an almost indefinite number of sub-documents and still read and write as if it was one long continuous text and export it like that as well?

I have about 12 chapters, and in each I have 5-15 sub documents that are a few pages long. A few of the documents have about 12-20 images, resized small, but obviously still containing the original image, and it lags very badly. The original images average 500kb in size, so they aren’t like 5MB images or anything. I have to avoid opening those documents unless I really need to edit them.

Ok I did what you suggested. I put all the images in the Binder. I then dragged them into the editor. I go on the ipad and they are just empty link images. Seems fine. I go back to OSX. Go to that text file. All images are deleted.

Suggestions?

Oh and it also changes my font on symbols (bullet points) from Palatino to Regular to PingFang SC Semibold, whatever that is?!

Now I have to go back through my whole book (100,000 words) and look for all the images that were deleted, but i can’t tell that they were deleted, because they simply aren’t there, so scrolling through I can’t tell they are gone at a quick glance. This is costing me an insane amount of time! I can’t risk opening my files on iOS. It’s ruining everything!