When Scrivener's trash is emptied

I just wanted to confirm that when I empty the trash in Scrivener, the items in the trash are deleted from the project and not necessarily from my computer. For example, I download a PDF and put it in the research folder. After I read it, I put it in Scrivener’s trash and empty it. The PDF file is gone from the project but it’s still on my hard drive, right? That’s what seems to happen.

This is probably a stupid question, but I couldn’t find anything about it in the manual and I didn’t want to find out the hard way that I was wrong.

Thanks

When you empty the trash, the copy of the document that is part of the project is forever deleted from the computer. When you import a file into the binder, a copy of the document is made–the original is still in place on your drive, and the version in the project is completely separate from this original, so changes made to the one don’t affect the other. Thus, trashing the copy in your project won’t delete the original and it will still be wherever it was before. If you deleted the original after importing it, however, then the only copy you have is the one in the project, and if you delete it from the project it will be permanently gone. In that case you’d want to use File > Export to make yourself an external copy before deleting it from the project.

Thanks. I appreciate the confirmation. Brian