When using "Copy" a 2nd time, the previous text is retained

I use Scrivener for Windows. When I use the “Copy” function for a block of text, the first attempt to Paste seems to work fine. However, if I block a different set of text, select Copy then Paste, Scrivener pastes the previous blocked text, instead of the new text. I’ve tried this several times on different text in different chapters - same results. Why is Copy retaining the same old text?

How and where are you selecting, copying and pasting? I can’t reproduce this, so if you could provide the steps to show what’s happening, that would be great.

How and where are you selecting, copying and pasting? I can’t reproduce this, so if you could provide the steps to show what’s happening, that would be great.

MM: Thanks for your prompt query. I was seeing the problem pretty regularly last night, when I was trying to COPY from my doc in Google Docs and PASTE it into Scrivener. I was doing this because of the difficulty I was having with import. I tried it several times with the results of my post. Today when I try it. It doesn’t fail in the same manner. Today, I copied some text from Google Docs using CNTL - C, then went to Scrivener and used Edit - Paste. The text pasted correctly in this case, EXCEPT the first character (only the first) of each paste attempt was underscored and BLUE in color. I tried 3 different sentences, same result. Somehow the paste process seemed to add underscore and blue color only to that first character. I know this sounds very odd - but this is what I’m seeing. BTW: when I copy/paste from/to Scrivener - no problem. Seems to be when I copy from one app and paste to scrivener.

That sounds like a known issue we’ve picked up in another thread, where copy and paste from a browser can cause strange linked text to appear—the blue underscore.

Meanwhile, Google Docs really should have a way of exporting your document to an RTF file. I would try doing that and then drag and drop the file into Scrivener’s binder. That should give you a very clean transfer of the formatting.

Yeah, pasting from Google Docs is especially bad, from any browser. I don’t know if it’s because they use secret hidden tables or what, but even after wrestling with the clipboard data and cleaning up copy/pastes from a handful of browsers for 1.7, Google Docs still gets messy. Try using Paste and Match Style for small sections of text, or exporting to RTF as Ioa suggested if you have large documents. If you must use a regular paste, Documents > Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style is your friend. :slight_smile: