When will Windows version be the same as the Mac???

I bought the Windows version of Scrivener for the same price as the Mac version. I would like to know when the custom options, that are currently available to Mac users, will be available to Windows users. I really hate that I cannot customize my title fonts and chapter fonts for compiling to Kindle. I’d like my titles and fonts to be as unique as what’s on the cover of the book. Otherwise, the Kindle book version looks pretty boring with the default font. :neutral_face:

I also would like the option to not have a table of contents in my Novel. Novels don’t have a table of contents and unless I’m totally missing the know to get rid of it, I can’t remove it.

I have no other complaints about Scrivener. I actually love how simple it is to use. Just wish that if you’re going to charge the same for both versions, the customer should get the same options in either version.

The Windows version has always been cheaper than the Mac version, and we won’t raise the price of it until we do have it caught up. I’m not sure what you were seeing that would indicate otherwise—perhaps a sale was going on at the time.

That really doesn’t depend upon which platform you use, it is a limitation of the MobiPocket format. Big publishers have access to Topaz, which allows embedding custom fonts, but this is a deprecated format (that is in general much slower to read from than Mobi and KF8 files). KF8 will, I think, allow embedding of fonts, but it is not likely that Scrivener will support this on either platform as it is a niche feature and one needs to be very aware of font distribution licensing and such before getting into that.

But meanwhile there are many things you can do with formatting that can distinguish your book and set it apart from the rest, that do not involving selecting a custom font face.

Most electronically published novels do in fact have a table of contents, and most studies show that readers prefer a table of contents, even in a novel. This is because, generally speaking, it is much more difficult to get around in an e-book than it is in a paper book. I know it’s anecdotal, but I get really annoying when the publisher leaves a ToC off of an e-book as it makes navigation within the book really awkward. I know, in theory everyone would start at Loc. 1 and end at Loc. 14,000 or whatever in a novel, but the real world doesn’t always work that way. We lose our place, jump around to find an old section, use X-Ray, whatever—and sometimes the fastest way back to where we were is knowing we were in “chapter 20” and being able to jump straight there without having to plug in a location number with a wild guess.

Well, that’s just my opinion, but if you’re worried about fitting in—like I say, many novels have one anyway. You would not be standing out for having one, and you would be annoying nobody by having one, whereas you would potentially be annoying your readers by excluding one.

That said, and this is the case on the Mac as well, in many cases you will want to polish off a book after compiling it. Scrivener can only provide a broad assumption in its compiler, else it would become overly complex to use (approaching the level of how complex a full-blown editing tool itself would be). So on both the Mac and the PC, we recommend using post-production tools to get an e-book fit for publication. In many cases that step may not be necessary, but if you have desires or requirements that fall outside of the norm, you’ll need to do a little editing.

We recommend Sigil for this as it combines ease of use with power features. You will need to compile to ePub for this, and once you are done editing the e-book, opening it in Kindle Previewer to convert the .epub file to a .mobi file.

I’m glad to hear you like Scrivener over-all! Just remember this whole e-book thing is still very new. It will likely be a while (maybe even decades) before e-publishing has the same capabilities we’ve grown accustomed to in print publishing. Some of that is silly-stuff, like being able to print using any font you like, but not being able to distribute an e-book with that font because of distribution restrictions; lots of legal tangles and technological hurdles to overcome.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and in such depth. This is the other reason I love Scrivener outside of the program itself. It is the quick and helpful people who stand behind it. Although, I’d still like to see Scrivener for Windows catch up a lot faster (especially since most books and tutorials are written for the Mac version only, it’s really hard to find answers to some questions.) It would be really nice of someone would write books and tutorials for the Windows version too. The way I see it, until the two programs are equal, they are essentially two different programs altogether.

Anyway, thanks for you help :slight_smile:

To add my two cents: PLEASE, on behalf of all the people that technology hates, do not get rid of tables of contents in your books. Every electronic book needs one for the reasons stated by Ioa. I personally have had sync issues between my nook and my iphone, and it was frustrating enough navigating through the ToC to figure out what chapter I had been in the middle of; if there hadn’t been a ToC, I might have thrown my device across the room.

I’ve seen this attitude by novelists, who forget that there is a vast difference between flipping through a physical book to find your place, and paging through an e-book, and it drives me to distraction. There are even settings to make e-books open at a certain point, such as Chapter One, or the Foreward, skipping over the cover image, ToC, and other front matter, so there’s no reason to eliminate a handy navigational tool.