Where can I find information about <$n:keyword:tag>?

Hi.

I have seen references to a syntax of the form <$n:keyword:tag> and <$#:keyword:tag> but I can’t find any explanation in the manual. Is there a place where those entities are explained?

Thanks in advance.

The manual doesn’t go over all of the specifics since placeholder tags are completely documented in the Help menu. Check out “Placeholder Tags List”. This topic is about 4/5ths of the way down.

Thank you. As it is obvious, I didn’t even glanced at the other options in the menu. My mistake.

Cheers.

Here’s a precis version (I use this placeholder about 5 times per page of my thesis) and also because there are a couple of intricacies that I figured out from trial and error:

<$n:[keyword]:[tag]> gets replaced by a number in sequential order, and you can have multiple sequences depending on the [keyword]. So you can have tables, figures, maps, all numbered automatically and sequentially. However each one has to have a unique tag. If the tag is the same as another tag for the same keyword elsewhere, it will be replaced with the same number. Also (and I think this is a bit of a shortcoming), it has to have a tag. If it doesn’t have a tag, scrivener will not interpret it as being of the same [keyword] list and it will be treated as a distinct list.

The tag, furthermore, is used as a unique key to refer to numbered items anywhere in your project using the <$n#[keyword]:[tag]>. For example:

[code]As Tables <$n#table:foo> and <$n#table:bar> below, show, blah blah.

Table <$n:table:foo>: blah blah x

Table <$n:table:bar>: blah blah y[/code]

Will get output as:

This means you can have chapter specific ordered lists, by using a keyword like ch1_table and ch2_table, then you can call the number by using something like “Table 1-<$n#ch1_table:foo>” to produce the number “Table 1-1”

Finally, if you use <$n#[keyword]:[tag]> to refer to a numbered item that doesn’t exist (i.e., you’ve perhaps mispelled the keyword or tag, or deleted it and not deleted the reference) it will not replace with anything and will compile as is.

This is an excellent numbering system (despite the fact that you have to have tags for every item) and I love scrivener for it. All the other people in my department writing their theses have immense issues grappling with word and it’s clunky numbering system which is always breaking. This to me is one of Scrivener’s main strengths for use in academia.

Thank you very much Jangari, that was a very detailed description.

Cheers.

No worries. I have a bit of jingoistic pride over the <$n#[keyword]:[tag]> because it was implemented in 2.41 (at least in part) because of my suggestion.