Where Do I Change Compile Font/Heading Settings?

So I’ve got this manuscript that I want to get into .mobi, .epub, .pdf, and createspace.

I’m compiling it and selecting my first output format: .mobi

The body text size is just fine, but my titles are way too small.

How can I adjust the text output settings in compile (without selecting “use as is,”

Also, are these presets for .mobi “standard,”, or will I be messing up anything by changing the size?

Thanks.

It’s possible that your body text is actually too large. Kindle output does not regard font sizes as absolute, rather as relative. This means the body text stays at a uniform size according to the reader’s preferences, and all variations around that middle standard are calculated relatively from it. Hence, if you body text is too large, it will cause title text to “shrink”. Try keeping body text at 12pt for the best results.

That doesn’t seem to be the case here.

As you can see in the screenshots, I’m choosing 12 pt font for the body text and 24 pt font for the title, yet when looked at in my kindle viewer the sizes are off.

It’s hard to tell what’s going on there, to me it looks more as though the subtitle text is increasing in size instead of the other way around, but rather than trying to guess, what does the actual e-book code look like? If you click on the option to “Save the source files in a folder with the exported Kindle file”, in the KindleGen compile option pane, and then examine the HTML and CSS files, what settings are being exported by Scrivener? You’ll find the class reference in the HTML containing the chapter name, and can cross-reference that class name with the stylesheet CSS file in use by the HTML file.

For example, in my tests I located the following line in the HTML file for the test section:

<p class="p2"><b><a id="doc8"></a>Chapter Title</b></p>

This file uses ‘stylesheet.css’, which I discover by checking the top of the HTML file for references to the stylesheet. In the ‘stylesheet.css’ file I discover the following formatting for the ‘p2’ class:

p.p2 {margin: 0.0em 0.0em 1.00em 0.0em; text-align: center; text-indent: 1.58em; font-size: 200%; color: #b7d431}

To contrast, the code for ‘p3’ (subtitle text) is defined as follow:

p.p3 {margin: 0.0em 0.0em 0.0em 0.0em; text-align: center; text-indent: 1.58em}

As you can see the larger one uses 200%, which is accurate because it is 24pt in a land of 12pt text. The second one describing the subtitle just leaves font size out entirely, since the default is already 100%, or 12pt. What sort of numbers do you see? Here are the results I get:

A design note: You may also consider that the light green colour you’ve chosen may create illegibly light titles on the Paperwhite (older e-ink devices will ignore text colour). It might be best to stick with black since the majority of your readers will only see light grey text instead of green text.

As an aside: a better platform for testing Kindle files is to use Amazon’s dedicated Kindle Previewer application, which is a simulator for the devices themselves. The program you are using is their general use reader, meant for achieving a look that is best for on-screen reading—it will not match the way books are rendered on Kindles themselves.