Where does http://fletcherpenney.net/document.css reside

I am very pleased with my initial experiments with Scrivener. I am particularly delighted with the results of the fletcherpenney.net/document.css style sheet. I would like to control and modify same for my own purposes (imitation is a high form of flattery). How can I access that style sheet?

At the risk of sounding like a sarcastic a**, it resides at:

http://fletcherpenney.net/document.css

You can copy it to your own computer and edit it, and refer to it rather than my copy. Just make sure you place it somewhere 'net accessible if you want others to be able to view your formatted document. I just wanted a convenient place to put a relatively plain, but typographically interesting stylesheet.

If you’re interested in the typography behind that sheet, which is basically the same as the CSS on my web site, check out:

http://fletcherpenney.net/Colophon#typography

On the surface it is a stupid question, isn’t it. Oh well, as I tell my students, the unasked question is the stupidest of all.

No offense over the sarcasm… I have that gift myself. I have just figured out how to get at the files you mention. Thanks!

I do love the style of your site. CLEAN…

And I really love MM because it gives me the possibility of multiple sources.

On a different matter have you seen my post on Hevea and Hacha at [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-and-hevea/2310/1] Any insights you might have would be most welcome.

Thanks again for sharing your incredible work.I love it!

Regards.[/i]

I’m a fan of simple design in most things. I read a few articles on typography, and tried out some of the recommendations and guidelines on my site. Strangely, it does seem to improve readability… Maybe those guys know what they’re talking about. :slight_smile:

I had not seen this. I have not tried Hevea or Hacha, but I suspect the best way to do this is to do the following:

• Create your document in scrivener and export the LaTeX file

• Edit the LaTeX file by hand to include anything necessary to run Hevea/Hacha (I don’t know if there is anything to do in this step or not - like I said, I have not tried the programs and have only glanced at the manual for a few seconds)

• manually run hevea (+/- hacha) from the command line as usual

Once you get this working, and find out whether there is any tweaking to the latex to be done, it would be possible to create a perl script (similar to multimarkdown2latex.pl) that would automatically run the hevea program as part of the workflow.

There are other similar programs that split a single document into multiple documents, and to be honest, I have yet to find one that generates really nice output with high quality icons. They all sort of look the same, like something from the mid 90’s. I’m happy to try and help troubleshoot this further, but I don’t have either of these packages installed on my machine, so I can’t offer too much help.[/list]

I am fascinated by some of the reading I have done as well, especially with the growing consensus that sans serif fonts are more legible on the video display, whereas for years it was held that serif fonts by teasing the eye into “seeing” a line actually enhanced readability. I am convinced it has something to do with the vast amount of processing required by our brains. The resolution of an video display is after all far less than the standard 600 dpi of printed texts.

All of that aside, yours is a very attractive and functional site.

Your suggestions have a good deal of merit.

1. In fact, I think that I will first export a portion of text from Scrivener into LaTeX. Then, I will cut & paste content without markdown into TeXShop The resulting material I will hand code for LaTeX in TeXShop using its default article class . That should render two tex files that I can examine for variations.

2. With the OSX drag and drop facility there is little point in running Hevea in any other way than through the command line. The process is quick and only used as a final step in rendering an HTML file, Hacha inserts hrefs to subsequent pages, pervious pages and the index of the document.

3. Hevea in and of itself will produce a document like something from the mid 90s but the addition of a style sheet like yours makes for impressive results and one merely has to substitute a few jazzier GIF files for the three arrows native to Hevea

For really long documents with multiple cross references Hevea is very utilitarian.

While I will not crow about the aesthetics of the site (improving them is my current project) you can check the results of Hevea in the Poetry pages on my site http://www3.telus.net/WoBro/

Serif fonts are still the most readable in print; sans serif fonts have always been more readable on screen because of the limited resolution, as you say.

The difference is less noticeable at large sizes, but at normal body copy size the minimum pixel width of a serif on screen is proportionately too large compared to the width of the letterform’s stems and counters, and the typeface simply looks ‘off’ compared to what we’re used to seeing in print. Sans serifs don’t have this problem, and so look more like a printed version.

Once you get the overall function to work, it should be trivial to modify the article.xslt file to add any changes necessary to allow hevea and hacha to do their thing.

You are correct - I never played with any tool long enough to customize the output. It might be worth looking back into, and customizing a stylesheet and finding some better icons…

That said, when I look at the pdf version of your content, it is SO much nicer… :slight_smile:

I am open to the idea of finding a solution like this and making it more MultiMarkdown friendly. If you get anything working, please let me know.