Where does indent come from?

In the attached screenshot, starting at the word “PROFILES”, why does it indent on Kindle? You can see in Scrivener that there is no indent.

Or, how do I figure out why it is indenting?

I selected “As-Is” in the compile options and that seems to have fixed it. Any idea why that would not be checked as default?
Scrivenerasis.jpg

Because the default assumption is that you want Scrivener to “clean up” or change formatting; the compile settings are generally a much better place to go if you need to accommodate different output formats (conforming to publisher submission guidelines, different ebook devices, a “large print” hardcopy edition, etc…).

Indentation can also be changed for all similar documents, if you want them to conform to the formatting you’ve shown above, by adjusting settings in the Formatting section of the compile window.

I didn’t see anything useful in the Formatting section.

“As-Is” fixed the problem Scrivener created. No idea why someone would want random indentation thrown in where ever Scrivener decides it is best.

It’s not random though; it’s just a standard paragraph indent. If you want to change it across all text documents, you can go to the Formatting pane of Compile, select the appropriate document row and clicking into the “Main text. Lorem ipsum” example body text. Then delete the paragraph indent in the ruler.

Or you can continue doing the Format As-Is bit if you prefer; there’s nothing inherently wrong with that, it just requires that all your formatting within Scrivener is consistent with all forms of output you might want.

It’s not random though…

It clearly is. The paragraph above is indented/formatted the same way and looks different in the compiled epub. So does the one after.

Every paragraph has a standard amount of indent added to it in your screenshot, I’m not sure what you mean by random—it is entirely consistent on the right shot. The left shot has per-case indentation applied to the text, but that is completely ignored when compiling using format override. It’s just that some of the lines are not long enough to wrap around and make that obvious. You can’t confuse what you see in the editor with what you have in the output, when using “Overridge text and notes formatting” in the compile option pane. Disable that, and now the formatting in your editor should be driving the output instead.

I wouldn’t recommend using the “As-Is” checkbox save for in sections of the book that require exceptional formatting. If you just want to disable clean-up, it is far easier and less prone to error to switch off formatting entirely in the Formatting pane.

For the reason mentioned above. As-Is is meant to be used for exceptional cases like title pages, ToC and so forth. If one merely does not want a cleaned up manuscript (or a damaged one as the case may be), then switching off formatting entirely makes much more sense.

Thanks.

I did uncheck “Override text and notes formatting” and “As-Is”. All looks fine.

Great. Sorry I mixed up the lefts and rights in that last edit. It should make more sense now but I trust it made enough sense before as it sounds like you’ve got it figured out.

One thing to note here is that if you do want to let Scrivener generate your titles for you, you can still give them independent formatting in that Formatting compile option pane, without having to turn override back on. Act/Chapter/Section (etc) style is regardless of text formatting.