Where I Write

The flurry of news about this project happened several months ago but it completely flew past me. On the off chance others have missed these wonderful pictures of science fiction writers in their writing rooms, I suggest you go visit Where I Write pronto.

Dave

I was especially captured by three rooms. Hull’s open space is similar to mine, while apparently bigger. Since I often walk to think better, I love to move in a wide space. The problem is that one need a natural skill for order, to keep things out of the path and in the right shelf.

The other one was Harrisons’s empty, quiet, timeless place. I can perceive the thought forming, aggregating in that penumbra. A black and white space - the opposite of the colorful, crazy life moving in all his novels I read.

Sam Delany’s room is incredible. It’s the perfect room imagined by Kafka, and this does not surprises in the most kafkian of the sci-fi writers. He, his book, his records, no other space left. Out of the window, softly caressing his beard or his back, I guess the light of the bay. The right place to tell of infinite spaces.

Paolo

I think that project is a great idea. But what first comes to my mind when I see all these rooms; do you need a dog in order to become a great author? If that’s the case, I’m on the track. :wink:
Another thing that really caught my eye was how many authors can write and get their creative thoughts/minds working in piles of jumbled papers, books, sculptures. I for myself need an ordered surrounding if I want to write. It’s not that I always accomplish that, but I feel better in a tidy room. However, it’s geniuses at work, and I guess ‘a cluttered desk is a sign of genius’ . There is this really good quote I’ve read somewhere, I can’t remember it for now though, but it ends with something like " Geniuses control the mess".

The last thing was, that you can really see the way to become a good author is to be a good reader. All of them had loads of books around, and I believe that has a purpose.

All in all, I think people need to find their own way to work properly, efficiently, not only as a writer. And once you’re totally in it, it doesn’t matter were you write, see down here: http://www.nzfestival.nzpost.co.nz/writers-and-readers/once-upon-a-deadline
(Another really interesting project by the way, definitely worth checking out.)

Chris.

Haldeman writes like I do, except my lamps are not nearly as cool.

Piers Anthony has my printer. That’s a good printer for the price.

I like how Harry Harrison appears to be writing in the foyer of a living room on a credenza, like he walked in from the market, set down his keys, and suddenly had an idea for a scene.

So many cats and dogs!

Delany, always looking as though he is about to cast an epic level 40 mage spell.

As for great, post-earthquakian piles of books, folders, papers, strange and curious objects of arcane nature, and music—emphatically, yes! I have in the past tried to have an ordered space, but it is not in my nature, and things inevitably become more like Delany’s Delany shaped pocket in the middle of a womb of words.