Who would you invite for dinner?

Suppose you are granted to invite 8 people for dinner. You can choose among living or dead. Who would you invite? As an example, here is my list:

Socrates, Timothy Leary, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Jim Morrison, Ayn Rand, Arthur Schopenhauer, Charles Bukowski.

I’d just invite my friends. It’d be more fun. Although 8 is optimistic.

Theology: Jesus, Apostle Paul, Apostle John, Athanasius, Martin Luther, Joahnn Sebastian Bach, John Wesley, Arthur Carl Piepkorn

Science and Math: Jesus, Richard Feynmann, Isaac Newton, Leonardo DaVinci, Albert Einstein, Bernhard Riemann, Pierre de Fermat, David Hilbert

Was Jesus a scientist or is it just a spelling mistake?

I’ve been mulling this over off and on since I first read the post this morning and I’m struggling to come up with a sensible answer. I think it’s because I’m overthinking it.

You want people to get along to avoid a deathly silent table, but need to avoid the kind of people with too much in common that they will break off in cliques. So inviting all of R.E.M., for example, would be a no go unless it was because you wanted them to play something later.

If the rules allow you to just spend an evening with people and you can get them to do what you want, I’d probably put the likes of Troy Aitken in there (he can show me how to throw the perfect spiral), R.E.M. can play some music (including Bill Berry, the original drummer), and I guess my girlfriend wouldn’t forgive me unless I invited Rob Lowe and Chad Michael Murray and made them spend the evening with their shirts off. Obviously I’d only get the required brownie points if I completed the 8 by having my girlfriend there as well.

If you have to, you know, actually have dinner and are forced to rely on conversation for entertainment, then it’s harder. I think I’d side with KB on this one and go with a handful of friends. But then again, which ones? Not all of them could be trusted to get along…

To those who believe in a faith that presupposes creation, Jesus would have the ultimate scientific knowledge.

To those who do not believe that creation is a possible answer, would it not be the opportunity to “jeer at the idol of those idiot believers”? Even better, maybe the “real scientists” present would convince Jesus to publicly agree with a non-creation based view of science.

It is well known which camp I fall into, but I can see the invitation from both sides of that coin.

Audrey Hepburn, Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Dorothy Parker, Sarah Orne Jewett, Willow Rosenberg, Daria Morgendorffer, and Jane Lane.

I looked up Daria Morgendorffer and Jane Lane and got informed that they are cartoon characters. Or did I get something wrong?

“Cartoon” is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, it’s my dinner party.

I would invite the 8 people who would pay the $25 Million per plate cover charge.

Then I would serve Happy Meals.

So I thought about this for a bit. So far I have
• KB – I kind of owe him a dinner
• Vic-k – This one confuses me.
• Uncle Lloyd – The obligatory Family representative.
• Mother Theresa – Some one needs to say a grace that turtle types can’t argue with. And she is sweet.
• C. S. Lewis – He can straighten me out on my misreading of his writings.
• S. Clemens – The boy’s hero.
• Paul (apostle) – I don’t think he is what we think he is. And I want to know for sure. I think he is more like me than anyone, even me, wants to admit.
• Elijah – That must have been some chariot. I want to know if it had seat belts and air bags. Or was all safety the responsibility of the accompanying angels?

Although as I look at this I wonder if I can count vic-k as more of a pet and add Mrs to the list…

This month I am on my required psych rotation. I’m spending time at a residential treatment center for kids 8-17 and at a local hospital, both in the inpatient (locked) unit and the partial program (kids show up for the day). There’s one little kid in the inpatient unit that has been there ever since I started last month. Usually, kids are there just to cool down, get their meds straightened out or started, you know, to stabilize. Then they get referred to the day partial program or outpatient treatment. At the most, they might be there for 4 days, or so. Not so this kid.

When I asked my attending physician why this kid was there for so long, he said, “because no one wants her.”

I would like to invite her to dinner with my family. It seems that she has none of her own.

I would invite Berlusconi and Putin together with their secretaries (i’m told they have very nice secretaries). I would also invite Margaret Thatcher and Madalene Albright. Then I would lock all of them except the secretaries in the celler. I would have dinner with the secretaries and throw the left overs in the celler. After a couple of days I would peek into the celler and see when Putin and Berlusconi are begging for mercy, while Thatcher and Albright are having the best time in their lives. :smiley:

1. Hannibal Lecter.

Hmm, the rest of the list seemed to disappear. I’m sure they’ll turn up for the entrée.

Would he be offended if you put out A1 on the table?