Whole damn thing!

Is there anyway to save a whole document ? I have it split up into chapters but want to save it on a USB stick for when I go away. I’m a bit rubbish at this and just use it to write and put it into chapters, not fancy stuff!

You can use the File -> Backup -> Backup To command to put a copy of the complete project on the USB stick.

Or you can use the File -> Export command to extract the component files individually.

Or you can use the Compile command to glue the chapters together into a single document.

Katherine

Hi, debanne,

You didn’t really make clear what you expect to be doing with what’s on the USB stick when away. Do you expect to be doing major writing or editing on your docs and meaning to get that back into scriv, or do you just want to be able to read and maybe make modest amounts of markup?

If you will have access to Scriv, you should of course just put a copy of your Scriv project on that stick.

If you just wanted to proofread, you can just get all the docs into the Editor with Scrivenings mode and then Print>Save-as-pdf. Then markup the pdf with any pdf reader (or printout and work manually).

If you wanted to do some substantial writing/editing with your content, you might consider synchronize-with-external-folder (which could be on a usb drive). This would give you rtf files of your individual docs. These could be edited on the road (with any rtf editor), and when you return home you can sync your project to the folder again and changes to the contents of the rtf files would be synced back into your scriv project.

gr

I’m intuiting that you want to put your manuscript into a form that you can read when you don’t have access to Scrivener. If so, consider compiling it to a PDF file or a DOCX file.

Something to consider, if the idea is to end up with a folder of loose word processor files you can edit while on the go, is the File ▸ Sync ▸ with External Folder feature. In a way, it was designed for just this sort of thing! You can use your preferred word processor to work with your chapter files, and when you get back home, plug the drive in first (that’s important), and then launch Scrivener and open your project. It will scan the folder and merge any changes you’ve made back into the project, taking snapshots of their previous state for you.

Most of the “overhead” in learning it is that panel used to set it up. I’d recommend going over the available options in §14.3, Synchronised Folders, but the defaults are sensible:

• Draft-only, so no research.
  • Number the files so they are in order.
  • Automatically sync when opening and closing the project.
  • And use a word processor-friendly format.

When you’re done, you can use the setup panel to disable the feature, with a checkbox at the very top. But it will also disable itself if you load the project without your stick drive.