Why are built in Compile Formats different between Projects?

Scrivener Manual says (7.6.2 IIRC :slight_smile: ) Built in compile formats aren’t editable. Why then are the Section Layouts different in these two cases? Can I fix it somehow?

Scrivener; Windows 10

The Compile Overview of my novel project looks like this (It was created in a previous version of Scrivener)

The Compile Overview of a new project made from Novel with Parts (in looks like this

NB all Scrivener Formats for my novel show everything as “As-is” except Script or Screenplay which says no layouts have been assigned from this format… but the Available Layouts are not “as-is”

(Was the wrong image - just fixed it)

You are right you cannot edit the default or supplied scrivener compile formats. The gear icon has a menu including the duplicate and edit. With every format you can alter how the section layouts are assigned. Choose the bottom of the middle section to decide if scenes start with just the text, or a title and text. Are chapters numbered etc.
As IS is best for things like front and back matter which may require different fonts and spacing to make the impact you want.
Again the section layout assignment if changed will make the initial compile panel look dramatically different. Remember the Middle panel gives you a preview of how the project will look based on default or your current choices.
an be changed

1 Like

Maybe I buried the question too deeply: I’m asking why things that should be same because they’re not editable are different… in my current project all the layout info for the Scrivener Formats is wrong (seen by the comparison with the new blank Novel with Parts example).

In which previous version? A 1.x version? Version 3 of Scrivener has a completely new (and heavily improved) Compile.

The novel is a project; the layouts are fine in a installation on the laptop.

I think the whole upgrade/downgrade/uninstall/reinstall saga was not entirely successful.

Was Scrivener installed for all Windows users in each case? Or just for your account? Not sure if that is a thing with Scrivener. I’ve just been upgrading Scrivener through its built-in upgrading feature rather than installing from an .exe file.

Click on the “Assign Section Layouts” button at the bottom to see the full list of available layouts. This looks like the “As-Is” layouts were previously assigned to all the different section types.

The layouts themselves are part of the Compile Format, and are not editable in the Scrivener-supplied formats. But the Layout ↔ Section Type assignments are user-defined.

1 Like

In the first picture you’re looking at compiling the Current Selection, which you could have assigned an As-Is layout to, for each Section Type.
In the second picture you’re looking at compiling the whole of Manuscript with its default settings.

You’re right that one is Selection and the other is Manuscript but I checked and it doesn’t make any difference.

I don’t know what this meant:


  • I am using a "built in* compile format
  • On my installation on another machine, the assignments for the built in were already there - no user action to assign required - because I am using the same named parts Part, Chapter, Scene which are defined for the layout; I re-checked the names here they are Part, Chapter, Scene. It should work.

I think I shall end up rebuilding the project because the “new” dummy project doesn’t have these problems.

I’ll create a new one and import everything.

Thx :slight_smile:

It’s your project, if you want to rebuild it, that’s up to you. But there’s no need unless there’s something going on that you haven’t discussed here.

Section Types can be assigned either manually, or based on the structure of the Binder. For structure-based assignments, use the Project → Project Settings → Section Types pane to tell Scrivener what you want. Some of Scrivener’s project templates include these assignments as part of the template, and so projects created from those templates will have certain Section Types pre-assigned.

Similarly, some of Scrivener’s supplied Compile Formats have Section Layout ↔ Section Type assignments pre-defined based on the Section Types used by specific project templates. For instance if you are using the “Manuscript (Times)” Compile Format with a project created from the Novel template, you’ll have Chapter Heading and Scene Layouts already assigned, respectively, to Chapter Heading and Scene Section Types. But that’s nothing to do with the names of the Section Types, it’s just part of the way the specific project template was set up.

Without knowing the history of this project, I don’t know why you are seeing “As-Is” Section Layouts. My point is that it doesn’t matter. You can just reassign them as needed. There’s no reason to believe that there’s anything “wrong” with the project, and certainly no reason to worry about rebuilding it. Unless, again, there’s something going on that you haven’t told us about.