Why did Scrivener add three asterisks

Hi everyone, I’m pretty new to Scrivener and am feeling my way around it. Apologies if this is some noob problem, but I can’t understand this particular behavior in Scrivener.

I’m preparing my manuscript and have been using Compile to check the formatting of the PDF from time to time. I’ve noticed that for some reason Scrivener has added three asterisks, center justified, in the middle of some of the “texts”.

I don’t know why it’s done this. The three asterisks aren’t in the manuscript. That space in the manuscript is just a blank line where I’ve skipped a space after a numbered list. So it looks like this in the manuscript:

1. Blah blah blah
  2. Blah blah blah

New paragraph begins here.

However when I compile the PDF and check it, it looks like this:

1. Blah blah blah
  2. Blah blah blah
      • (these are center justified but I can’t show that here)
        New paragraph begins here.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Also, after publishing my first comment I see that the three asterisks don’t show up on this forum as three asterisks and instead look like three different types of bullet points. Please note that they just look like simple asterisks in the compiled PDF.

Here is a previous discussion on the matter.

P.S. if you want to type something in that won’t be interpreted as formatting, you can put it in `back-tick` quotes like that: * * *. Or you can put a \ character in front of each, like so: \* \* \*

That’s useful! It still won’t be centered but it helps.