Why do *you* read? (Split from SF thread...)

Hogwartian is the best description I can think of, to realistically describe Rylands. Even more so, since I stumbled across this blog last night:

curiousexpeditions.org/2007/09/a … ter_1.html

The photo, below (included in the blog), has really pissed me off :imp: because its a part of Rylands, that, as far as I can tell, is never mentioned. I certainly couldnt have got to see it. But! Just how much more Hogwartian could it possibly be! Im gonna check it out. I suspect its the top floor, which is access denied to all but staff. I`m gonna see it, even if it means dressing up like Albus Dumbledore . Enough said!

Rylands aside, there are some truly beautiful libraries featured at the above blog. Hope you`s all enjoy them.

Ciou for now
Take care
Vic
202146600_37b58ca97a.jpg

[size=150]SORRY BIG SCREW UP, SORRY!!![/size]

The above is a photo of Klementium Library, Prague, Czech Republic.

For some reason the photo of Rylands just doesn`t seem to want to load, only the tittle for it. I mistook the above for Rylands. :blush:

At least now I wont have to dsiguise myself as old Albus.

Blushing pink Vic

PS Bloody gorgeous though, isn`t it? Missed it when I was in Prague in 1994.
Wont miss it next time though!!

This is Rylands, honest :wink:

flickr.com/photos/krymorg/se … 622745824/

vic

Sorry for raising this ancient, dusty thread from the dead, but:

1. What “SF thread”? :question:

2. Awesome libraries. I just followed the images and links to this page. About halfway down the page I started to realize just how many books I’m not going to get a chance to read. Now I feel even more like Burgess Meredith in “Time Enough At Last”. 8)

3. I had a temp job where I got a chance to check out the libraries and stacks at Fordham and Columbia. Overwhelming amount of material. Same reaction. Really wish I knew about 5 other languages, as I was strolling through there. Or had listened better in German or French class. :confused:

4. Looking at those images reminded me of a setting I can utilize soon, so cheers for that. :bulb:

5. Speaking of nice places to sit and read, I always enjoyed the Sculpture Room at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (on the side facing the park). :slight_smile:

On Topic: As to “why” I read, I just can’t stop myself. Somebody showed me how to do it when I was three or four, and now I’m addicted. I’d rather read than almost any other activity you can think of (except one or two, but hey, I can still read for hours at time). I do it every day. I’m doing it right now, while I’m writing this. I just can’t stop. (And I’ll never read all of the books in the library, even at this rate. My spouse, who reads a novel in a weekend, will never read all of the mysteries in just our local branch. I may never even read all of the science fiction in my own collection, let alone all of my comic books. Oh, Henry Bemis, once I mocked your pain, now I live it!)

[size=85]That’s not fair. That’s not fair at all. There was time now. There was, was all the time I needed…[/size]

Also, back on topic, although I was not mentioned in the original thread or OP. I was math and science student in college and postgraduate education, so reading for me for many years was entirely of that nature. I would read biographies and historical accounts (having served many years as a Naval Intelligence officer). Then I studied theology, Greek, and Hebrew and that was my daily fare for 20 years.

After a breakdown twelve years ago, I was at the point where I could not even read my name nor write it. Once I regained some ability to read, the only level I could handle was simple fiction, specifically Zane Grey novels for about two months; it took me a while to even get through each of the novels. But over a period of three years I developed my reading proficiency again so that I could handle theological studies (and began teaching theology again). But I had seen value in reading fiction and still regularly read fiction for relaxation (period pieces, like Jacqueline Winspear or Charles Todd for post WWI). I travel a lot, so I take one fiction and one theological book with me on every trip. Thus, like Amber, I keep about 4-5 books going at all times, one by the bed, two by my chair, and several books by my computer (home office).

Sorry, perhaps a little too personal. But that is why I read fiction.

Thank you, Ed, for raising this ancient dusty thread, for it is a good one. I suspect that every writer, with or without Scrivener or even a computer, is addicted to reading. I have been since second or third grade. The minute I read well enough that I no longer saw little squiggles on paper, but vivid scenes like watching a movie, I was hooked. I can’t not read, the thought of it builds up panic.

Exegete77 tweaked some of my guilty secrets. Even I am embarrassed at the piles of books on every table, many with bookmarks indicating how far I got before something else caught my attention. I begin to wonder if I have a tinge of the ADHD that almost incapacitated my brothers long before it had a name. Like him, I travel always with at least one novel and one theological book, in my case Buddhist. The most nightmarish scenario I can think of offhand would be on a commercial flight with nothing to read but the airline magazine in the seat pocket. The second most nightmarish would be to have only a novel that turns out to not sustain my interest.

I just read the long article about James Patterson in the New York Times and realize that the big difference between him and most other writers is that he doesn’t agonize over his writing, he just writes it, finishes it, and starts a new one. Whereas I am crippled by some otherworldly definition of quality (probably different for every writer but still present) which in actual fact derails most creative ideas. What I wouldn’t give for some of James Patterson’s magic ability to just do it, and let someone else sort out “quality.”

Perhaps one reason for the popularity of SF and F is that no one can accuse the author of getting such and such a detail wrong, a little freedom from fact. Freed from the quotidian, many then go about their business of getting human psychology exactly right.

OK, back to the Hope for Haiti show… Sorry for the rant.

Wait a second. Patterson is not a writer, he’s a book packager. He doesn’t do any of the actual writing and editing, just the planning. He farms out the labor to a stable of 7 or 9 ink-stained wretches who do the scribbling to his formulas. Most best-seller authors, the kind that produce multiple “airplane” books per year, have the same modus operandi. There’s no “magic ability” here; it’s all just factory production. The article made these points extremely clear; I’m surprised that you missed them.

Where can Vic-k get a few of them from?
Fluff

Here is Thomas Merton, quoted in the current Harpers. The context is different, but I think the message is relevant.

Phil

Just to be clear, exegete77 did not write what you attributed to him in the quote. :smiley:

Quite right. I’m sorry, it was careless posting. I’ve gone back and edited it.

Phil