Why doesn't Scrivener remember my selections?

I have a folder in my project that contains my scene list (20 documents) - and therefore I have chosen the Corkboard to show my scenes. Then I want to choose a (random) document in the Binder where I now choose The Editor and edit a detail in my text. Then I want to go back to my Scene list folder, where I had chosen the Corkboard - but Scrivener does not remember this choice - can you make Scrivener remember my choices? It’s a really annoying little, but important, detail.

Lock the Folder with scenes to the Corkboard View Mode.

Open the document and right-click its icon in the Editor’s HeaderBar. Select the bottom option of the Context Menu .

A tiny lock icon will appear over the Corkboard View Mode icon in the Main Toolbar.

To remove, repeat or set the lock to a different View Mode .

Hope this Helps

Hi Antoni.
Thanks for the advise - I didn’t know that detail/function. But - when I afterwards select a document, under scenes, and choose the Editor and again want to go to my scene list, Scrivener has chosen the Editor and not the Corkboard view - really not smart! When I choose my Scene list, Scrivener just has to remember the setting (intuitive) - why do I have to select the Corkboard view.

View Modes are user settings. The Program doesn’t know how you want to look at your writing… If you want a Folder of Doc shown in a certain View Mode, that’s what the lock is for. :wink:

No Antoni - it’s not exactly a setting (not a user system setup) but a choice you have to make every single time you change to a folder or document - it’s really not smart! I’m a BIG fan of Scrivener - believe me - but there are few functions I really want to be changed. Make it more intuitive and intelligent. I don’t think it’s a complicated function to code.

Antoni - Scrivener forgets the lock - when you change View Mode. Of course it’s still locked when yo select a certain View Mode - but the View Mode does not follow your document.

When you change the View Mode, the lock goes with your selection. So, keep it to Corkboard for the folder.

Yes - exactly. I’ve done that; Locked my scenelist folder to the Corkboard view mode. But when I select my actual scene (text document) Scriver automatic go to the Editor (SMART) - but if I quickly want to see my Scene list again - I have to change View Mode again (NOT SMART) - of course I can press CTRL+2 (Shortcut) - but the software should react to your behavior, especially when you have locked your folder to another View Mode. It’s really important to me, that a piece of software responds to you and react to your choices - hope you can follow me.

But I don’t think the lock mode is designed to the View Mode - but lock a specific document/folder to that View Mode you have selected (one to one). Maybe I miss a function, where you can lock a spcific View Mode to a document (one to many).

Use a split editor, have one split locked to corkboard view and set it to “Open in other editor” when you click on a card.

Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark - Thanks a lot. That was a smart solution! I have now made a setup, where I have my scene list, in Corkboard view, in the Bottom editor split screen AND my text documents in the upper split screen and have selected ‘Open in Top editor’ for all my documents. It works!

Just select the folder…

or the other way is set up corkboard view of scenes and then pick single file and work on it and then when want corkboard view, click in upper left of editor on < to go back one spot in history to previous corkboard and as advance thru files go one back to corkboard view of scene list.

Or click file and hit space bar and get QRP to work in full screen on second monitor and click < to go back to corkboard view.

Great, glad you’ve got it working. Look into saving the layout (in the Window menu) and set a keyboard shortcut; that way you can get back to the set-up easily if you need to change layout for any reason.

:smile:

Mark

Glad you like the “two pane” navigation approach. I use that almost exclusively in larger projects, and leave the binder for higher level navigation alone. I like having a larger area to work with the outline itself, and the Outliner view mode is perfect for that.

That said, to come back to the original problem, as it should not be one that you have to adopt different layouts to get around (useful though they may be):

Based on how you describe things, one possibility is that your “folder” isn’t really a folder, and that you have at some point either converted it to a file, or it always was that way. Groups of files (which you can see an example of in the interactive tutorial, in the “Get Oriented” section, as “The Inspector”) do have a default behaviour that differs from folders. While folders will use the current group view setting (Corkboard in your case), file groups will not, they will act like normal single files and just show the text, every time you click on them, just like you describe happening.

Try right-clicking on your scene list group and looking for a “Convert to Folder” command in the context menu. If you see that, select it—and you should find thing works like you expect now. If what you see is “Convert to File”, then disregard this hypothesis.

By the way, the behavioural difference between these two group types can be changed, if you don’t like it. Go into File ▸ Options..., under Behaviors: Folders & Files, and enable Treat all documents with subdocuments as folders. Now you should always get a corkboard (if that’s what the editor is currently using for groups), no matter what type of group you click on. This doesn’t change how single text items work, of course, those will always load as single text no matter.

Personally I prefer to use file groups for almost everything, as the way I outline is very fluid. I build out nested groups from single text items frequently, so I don’t know when something is going to be a single text or a group from the start. I’d rather just have the outline develop naturally than have to bother with whether something has a blue icon or a white one. The setting is thus perfect for me, as I can be assured that all groups work the same way no matter how they got to be that way.

But I don’t think the lock mode is designed to the View Mode - but lock a specific document/folder to that View Mode you have selected (one to one). Maybe I miss a function, where you can lock a specific View Mode to a document (one to many).

Yeah, I think you understand this feature. With default settings you can only set it on folders, because only folders use the current group view setting when you click on them. With the setting I described above enabled, then file groups also work like folders, and can have their group view mode locked.

So yes, as you deduce, this setting is per folder, and just simply forces that one folder to always load the way you viewed it last, even if you go off to look at other folders using a different view mode, like Scrivenings. It’s a more advanced feature that should not be necessary to achieve normal functioning.

As Amber later specified, unless

If you plan to have your section types be based on binder’s structure, need to use file groups and folders, that option allows you to toggle whether file groups behaves as files or as folders during the creation process.
I personally have this option always checked.
So if you set a folder to display a certain way, file groups will act the same as them.
If you ever want to switch the folder/file groups display to scrivening view, they’ll all display scrivenings from this point on.
Knowing that, it is no big deal to set the view to what you want it to be, if clicking a file group or folder doesn’t give you the view you expected, having changed it earlier and forgot.
And as I think was mentioned too, if there is a specific folder or file group for which you want a view mode to be the default regardless of what the file group/folder display mode is, use the lock view mode function for this specific binder item.
Right click the icon in the editor’s header :
image2023-01-14 12_44_18-DUMMY Screenshot forum project - Scrivener

In my opinion, the strong point of all this is really in the context where you’d base section types on binder’s structure. As it gives you a third “element nature” in the form of file groups, on top of files and folders, which can behave differently at this stage.

With the option for file groups to act as files or as folders during the creation process, that gives you extra control comes compile, without the burden of a useless extra view mode setting during content development.

1 Like

Can you please post a screenshot of your binder’s structure?
Your files and their icons.
Just that said folder, a few files above it, plus a few files inside it will do.

Yes Goalie - I know the browsing function - but actually never use it. Maybe one day I’ll get used to it.

By your needs, you need your binder/files to be structured like this:

If they are rather like this:

Then you need this option checked:

image VS image

This solution works - Fantastic Vincent! Thanks a lot - It’s SO nice. When I now fx. change from my text document to my Scenelist folder (document with subdocuments) and I, of course, have select “Lock Group View Mode” - then it works with all “folders with subdocuments” - The advice of the day!

1 Like