Why is section title repeating multiple times?

I made a compile settings file on my PC and exported it to a friend who uses Scrivener on a Mac. When I compile, the section title appears correctly, but it repeats multiple times when she compiles on her Mac. Ideas?

Your friend is welcome to contact us directly. It’s hard to offer useful suggestions secondhand.

Repeated titles can occur if both a folder and a file have the same title, and the Section Layouts are configured to include both. If the title is present both in the body of the text and in the Binder. If the title is actually duplicated in the Binder. Or through any combination of those.

1 Like

She’s new to Scrivener, so I’m setting her computer up for her. It’s not second hand.

I surely is a difference in compiler settings. I suggest doing a screen by screen comparison.

Could be either the Compile settings or the structure of the project.

1 Like

I can get the same erroneous result without transferring from PC to Mac.
This is all on the Mac: I make a new compile setting from the built in 6 x 9. I assign section layouts but only the numeric chapter heading is available with a section title, so I select that. It compiles correctly.
But if I change the chapter heading style by substituting<$t:chapter>in the Chapter Heading Title Options, it compiles with 4 identical section titles
The Mac OS is Sierra Version 10.12.6
Since I can’t find anyone else in the forum complaining about the same problem, it’s quite possible the error is mine, but I can’t seem to get around it.

What is the result that you’re trying to achieve?

1 Like

I’ve been doing this in Scrivener for years on a PC and never had a problem. What I want is simple:

Chapter One

Section title

Text

What I get on the Mac is:

Chapter One

Section title

Section title

Section title

Section title

Text

It’s impossible to say what the issue is without looking at the project. The most common cause of this issue is that the section title actually is repeated, either in the Binder or in the body text of the document.

1 Like

How can I send you the project? It’s only a couple of chapters until we get the compile problem solved

Please open a support ticket, here:

Include a link to this thread.

You can email a project by using the File → Backup → Backup To command, and checking the box to create a ZIP backup.

I’m having the same issue, having just massively upgraded my laptop and moved from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3 on mac. On compile, it used to just show:

Chapter One
Text

(I don’t use chapter titles in the current project)
and now I get a bunch of extraneous section titles as described above, many of them empty. I’ve been fussing with the compile settings all afternoon. For a while I was getting section titles before each scene, too, where I should just get a simple divider.

The Compile command was almost completely revamped between Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users. You can find it here:

1 Like