Why is this site so slow?

As above. I spend a lot of time - too much - surfing the web and using forums/fora. Is there a reason why the links on Literature and Latte’s site are so slow? Is it to do with the fact they were written on a Mac and I’m using a PC, well, several PC’s?
Scrivener for windows is a godsend and I’m loving it but I get very frustrated looking for support and inspiration on the web site and having to go away to make tea while it follows a link. Not always, just sometimes. But often enough to make it a drag. Do others experience this?

Using Windows 7
Google Chrome

Why? Probably because, apart from Vic-k, the rest of us are just a bunch of really cool laid back dudes, and we don’t rush anything.

Only very rarely, is navigating around Scriv, a tad slow. If it’s a regular occurrence for you, then I’d suggest checking out your operating system, and hardware.

Welcome aboard the old Pirate Ship Scrivener, saxophin. :wink:
Take care
Fluff

Thanks for your reply, Fluff and your kind welcome. I’m afraid it’s not a hardware or OS matter. If it were, I would expect it to manifest itself on other sites - certainly other boards.
(later) I had a look on phpBB’s site (the software this board uses) and it may just be a problem with the hosting server that Lit&Lat uses. In that case though, I’d expect other users to experience the same lags. If anyone sees this post and does have that experience it’d be great to know. then I could draw it to the attention of Lit&Lat.
Now, let’s get back and sort out this bloody denouement!
Cheers
Fin

saxophin,
You may get a more apposite response if you post this in the Tech Support or Feedback, forums :smiley:
Fluff

The site does occasionally slow down when we have heavy loads - that is, when there are suddenly lots of people using. Also, there have been a couple of times this week when Dreamhost’s servers seem to have slowed to a crawl (yesterday evening, for instance). We have increased the memory and bandwidth to try to avoid these things and will keep an eye on it, but apart from a couple of Dreamhost issues recently I haven’t seen it acting slow.

All the best,
Keith

I find it is sometimes a bit slow, but I do something else while it’s sorting itself out, but four times in the last couple of days, twice today … around 8:30 this morning (1:30 a.m. London time) and 5:30 (10:30 London) the site has timed out completely. On those occasions I’ve assumed the server has had some serious problem.

Mark

I find it is sometimes a bit slow, but I do something else while it’s sorting itself out, but four times in the last couple of days, twice today … around 8:30 this morning (1:30 a.m. London time) and 5:30 (10:30 London) the site has failed completely. On the first of those occasions it seemed the server had some serious problem, on the second, it timed out.

Mark

Thanks for replying to this, Keith. I’ve just had it slow down again just now but I’m glad you’re aware of the problem and on top of it.
All best
Fin

it,s seven times longer in cat years

Chrome is quite slow, (one of the absolute worst browsers when it comes to speed).

Windows 7 loves doing backups that bring the OS to a slow crawl

Anti-virus (must have on pc’s) makes things even slower.

Windows loves downloading the forever never ending “updates” in the background making everything even slower.

Secretly MS wants everyone to use ASP.NET instead of PHP so conspiracy theorists might say that PHP runs slower on windows system to make ASP “appear” faster in hopes of driving market forces to ASP (think back to MS and JAVA and MSJava years ago and the lawsuit).

There are 3 different variations of Windows 7.

ISP and routing can play a role. (Traceroute)

Most PC’s cost less than the router they are hooked to.

All very interesting, but see my original post. Chrome very fast on this my other pc’s, all other sites not slow, no updates in background at time etc etc etc. So you’re entitled to your beef but it’s not relevant here.

There is no “beef” I was only giving you possibilities for answers to your questions and to point out that it could be your system and not the site itself. My bad.

There was at least one thing in Wock’s list that might reveal something, given your situation, and that’s using traceroute. There may be some routing problems between you and the forum server(s) which are causing slow-downs.

Hi Wock and robertguthrie,
I guess this just points out the problems with interpreting tone in posts. I’m sorry if I reacted unnecessarily harshly to Wock there.
Good suggestion. Here’s the output of traceroute:

"Tracing route to www.literatureandlatte.com [173.236.254.228]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms mygateway1.ar7 [192.168.11.1]
2 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 88-104-192-1.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com [88.104.192.
1]
3 28 ms 26 ms 26 ms xe-11-0-0.ner001.the.as13285.net [80.40.155.108]

4 26 ms 26 ms 27 ms 80.40.155.101
5 27 ms 27 ms 28 ms xe-9-3-0.bragg002.log.as13285.net [80.40.155.41]

6 29 ms 31 ms 28 ms xe-5-3-0.scr001.log.as13285.net [80.40.155.50]
7 31 ms 29 ms 28 ms Opal-ge-2.2.0.mpr1.lhr2.above.net [213.161.78.20
9]
8 108 ms 109 ms 115 ms so-1-1-0.mpr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.31.186]

9 110 ms 110 ms 109 ms xe-0-3-0.cr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.29.17]
10 142 ms 138 ms 136 ms xe-2-2-0.cr1.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.29.37]
11 153 ms 146 ms 146 ms xe-0-0-0.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.30.66]
12 176 ms 174 ms 174 ms xe-0-3-0.cr2.lax112.us.above.net [64.125.30.50]

13 182 ms 181 ms 181 ms xe [64.125.30.5]
14 166 ms 164 ms 165 ms 64.124.196.90.t00867-01.above.net [64.124.196.90
]
15 166 ms 166 ms 166 ms ip-66-33-201-221.dreamhost.com [66.33.201.221]
16 169 ms 165 ms 304 ms ip-66-33-201-66.dreamhost.com [66.33.201.66]
17 166 ms 166 ms 165 ms ps36735.dreamhost.com [173.236.254.228]

Trace complete."

There is a consistent delay of 15 seconds at step 4.
Beyond that, I don’t know how to interpret this further. Can you help? In any case, the delays always occur after I’m logged into Lit&Lat, so I’m not sure how the above figures relate to that.
Finlay

Well, if step 4 is where you’re seeing a delay, then it’s not directly to do with Lit & Lat’s host (dreamhost), since they don’t appear until then end, well past step 4. It looks like it may be to do with your ISP’s router configuration.

You might consider doing a number of traceroutes, both before and after you’ve logged in, and seeing if there is a consistent delay at a given server. But what to do with that information? Good luck contacting and explaining to your ISP. In any event, there’s nothing the folks at Lit & Lat can do for you if that’s where your slow-down is.

If you know enough (or learn enough) about configuring your DSL modem/router’s network settings, you might be able to force a different default gateway/router (ISPs usually have multiple routers serving key nodes), which might send you through an alternate path to L&L.com. Unfortunately my expertise along those lines has atrophied to the point where I can only give general advice on the matter.

Sorry I can’t be of further help. Good luck and godspeed.

One other thing you may try is changing your DNS settings to another set of DNS servers.

I have seen sometimes where ISP DNS servers tended to slow people down on some page requests.

I sometimes use OpenDNS to for testing.

Or you can search for public DNS settings

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

Ho - kay.

First of all, many thanks for all the help and suggestions. I set up OpenDns on my router and it made no difference I’m afraid, Wock. Same old problem: log on nice and quickly to the forum, follow a few links (topics) and then suddenly everything slows to a crawl. 2 minutes to load a topic.
So I tried Firefox instead of Chrome: bishbashbosh, lickety spit. :blush:
So there you are. God am I glad this is over (wipes sweat from brow).
I’ll go find out what the problem is with Chrome as I prefer it on my netbook. But for now, THANK YOU.

Finlay

Good to hear your problem was solved!

Now you can get sucked in along with all of us in what we deny is procrastination. :slight_smile:

PS: Beware of that vic-k / Fluff character. He will drink all your spirits when you hit the head…

Pourquoi est-ce? Monsieur Pigeon :smiling_imp: Or how you say…wasssada beef…pige? :open_mouth:
Le d :smiling_imp:
imgres.jpg

[size=200]BURP!!![/size]