I’m puzzled by the following problem that came up today (17 Dec 2022) for the first time: only portions of my Scrivener projects get printed. After a project has been compiled for printing, the printed copy is (1) missing either entire documents or sections of a document and (2) some documents are split and printed on separate sheets of paper. Problems (1) and (2) happen even after I have merged all the documents to make sure that I had not unintentionally inserted a line or page break. This has never happened before. To the best of my recollection, I have not changed any settings in Scrivener or the printer.
Thank you for your kind attention. I look forward to receiving your help.
If you “print” to PDF (not directly to the printer’s driver → printer) is everything there? If “yes”, then print when you print from that PDF, everything thing get printed? If yes to both, then something with the printer driver (probably). Others have mentioned this problem here.
In the windows version compile to print is buggy.
It does pretty much what you just described. And is sometimes missing pages too.
Perhaps it is buggy under Mac too.
The solution in that case is, as suggested by @rms, to rather compile to PDF, and then print that resulting PDF.
FYI I have never seen a problem printing direct to my Brother laser. But i did see a problem with my Epson inkjet (sent for recycle a long time ago). Depends on Scrivener communicating with the printer driver, the latter provided by the printer vendor. Can always try to update that driver but some vendors only do that via Apple. A bit of a mess when things do not work. Good there are ways around problems, rare as they are.
Your reply is much appreciated. I printed a different project before updating the printer driver. The printout turned out fine (no missing content, etc). I wonder if there might some “bug” in the project that’s not printing correctly. What are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
Big Thanks for your help. I printed a different project before updating the printer driver. The printout turned out fine (no missing content, etc). I asked @rms if there might some “bug” in the project that’s not printing correctly.
Glad you are sorted. Frankly, I don’t track or pay much attention to the “bugs”, if only becuase it’s impossible for a mere mortal as myself to ascertain where the bug might be and what fix might be. I suspect here an issue between Scrivener and the myriad of printer drivers out there and they may never be able to get to the bottom of it. Dunno. “Printing” to PDF probably relies on fewer “technologies” and hence is probably more reliable.
I focus on work-arounds and get on with my writing. Just passing on what I have learned.
Thanks for passing on what you have learned. Have a great day!