Why Windows?

Indeed, I agree. Nothing honestly beats the combination and believe me I’ve looked - not through fault of Keith and Scrivener but because I felt like Apple hardware was giving me less function for more money year-on-year. Since settling on an older Mini, I’m as happy as a Pig in the proverbial. From now on, I’m sticking with the desktop/tablet combination.

Apple could do a lot better but touching wood, I’m actually starting to like these many dot releases to El Capitan. It’s not Snow Leopard, but it is starting to feel like a rock solid, dependable system again at long last.

DevonThink…never got into that…now VoodooPad, there was a product I loved.

I’d add Tinderbox to that list.

I really like using plain text only. If I could, I would use orgmode in evil-mode in Emacs for all writing, and every so often, that’s exactly what I try to do. That way I wouldn’t need a Mac and could happily use a cheap linux box. So I spend a few happy days or weeks setting it all up to work perfectly and then… I discover that after all you can’t do some things in orgmode — DTP’s AI, Tinderbox’s visualisation and adhoc analysis, Scrivener’s cork board (and so much else)…

So I start to try to get them to interact, which you can do, with a bit of faffing. Then after a while I find the faffing just becomes too irritating. (You can get orgmode to interact with DTP for storage and analysis of notes, but you have to go through a couple of steps every time and some useful features of DTP work much better with RTF than plain text; you can set Tinderbox up to parse orgmode files so you can visualise relationships between notes, but you have to go through a couple of steps every time; you replicate a lot of Scrivener’s functionality in orgmode, but not some of the really useful stuff…).

There’s no doubt in my experience that the business of getting words down onto the screen and editing them is much more effective and pleasant using vim (evil in Emacs) than any other method, and Scrivener, DTP, Tinderbox and the rest are all less effective than they could be because they don’t allow in-place vim editing. But there’s just too much friction in trying to get the various pieces to work together seamlessly with vim in the end I always go back to realising I want to keep my Macs and I’ll just put up with the less effective default OS X standard.

Basically, I’m just moaning… can we have a vim-mode in Scrivener version 3 please :wink:

That was my point. Yes, I can (almost) hack a Scriveneresque workflow out of plain text and a bunch of scripts and plugins but it’s a hack and I can’t be arsed with hacks anymore. I’ll shelve it against the day that Richard Stallman becomes US president.

It’s easy to get auto-export to dropbox. Just place your .scriv working file in the ~/Dropbox/ directory on your main machine and dropbox will download it to your mobile and keep the two machines synced.
That’s been my sop since I started with scrivener around the end of last year and it works fine.

Due to working on an aging laptop, or a borrowed machine, it has always been my practice to place both .scriv files and backups in my synced dropbox directory. The raw files are not very usable on my android phone, however, unless you enjoy playing hide-and-seek with the particular rtf file you want to work on, then save a copy of the modified file so you can copy-and-paste your modifications back to Scrivener.

Not that it’s any less work keeping my scene list in Google Sheets, and writing the scenes in Docs for later inclusion. Good thing I love writing, otherwise it might feel like work. :wink:

Meanwhile, I just saw the Acer Cloudbook 14 on Groupon; loaded with Linux instead of Loser 10, it could be a dynamite all-day-battery writer’s machine!

I’m with you on both these points and that’s what I’ve done. I’m determined to make the best use of Scrivener on Linux. I created a writing platform, based on Linux Lite 2.8, which I can take anywhere. I don’t even need to take my own laptop with me. I removed email and chat clients and any games to avoid distractions. When I’d got all the software I wanted I used Systemback to create a ‘live’ version which I have on a USB stick. I save my documents to another USB stick but the cloud would be equally good. As long as the PC/laptop I borrow can boot from USB I have all I need. It even works on a machine with no hard drive. I love it.
I wanted to share it with the world but because my Linux knowledge is limited, I don’t know how to remove the branding/trademarks to comply with the wishes of the distro’s developers. Shame! I guess the next best thing is to write a script for others to use or an ebook that tells people how.