Wider spaces

Is there capability to make spaces wider? I’ve found how to change the space between lines, but I’d love to make the spaces between words a bit wider without necessarily using full justified alignment. Is this possible?

The minimum space width is part of the font, so no, AFAIK Scrivener has no control for this. If this is for your convenience while writing and editing, I’d suggest using a monospaced or semi-monospaced font (like iA Writer Duospace) for your writing font. If this is for your final output via compile, I’d suggest playing with different output fonts until you find one you like.

Yeah, it’s for my convenience while writing and editing. Thanks for the pointer to mono- and semi-monospaced fonts! I wonder how tricky it would be to edit a font to get the desired effect without going full monospaced.

Here’s a long thread about writing fonts:
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/new-writing-font-for-monospace-lovers/38517/1]

In the entire thread, I don’t think anyone mentioned trying to edit a font :smiley:. It seems to me like an even better way to avoid actually writing than debating which font to use. :wink:

But if you’re into finding that special writing or output font, let me recommend http://fontsquirrel.com. All their fonts are free for commercial use (i.e., self-publishing) and can be installed directly from their website onto your iOS device as well as your Mac, to avoid that horrible feeling when you realise that your carefully chosen writing font has shown up on your iPad as… Helvetica. :smiley:

My own writing font preference, FWIW, is for a monospaced font (for much the same reason you cite.) I like a font where I can see the difference among capital eye, lower-case ell, and numeral one, and that has a dotted or slashed zero. I insist on being able to tell which way English typographic (“curly”) quotes are facing without squinting or taking off my glasses. I prefer to be easily able to distinguish among hyphen, en-dash, and em-dash, but it’s not as critical to me as the quotes thing.

By the above criteria Ubuntu Mono is a perfect writing font. I vacillate between using it and Fantasque Sans Mono, which has inferior dashes but more flair.

I hope you find a font or two that make your writing easy. Happy writing!

It seems to me like an even better way to avoid actually writing than debating which font to use. :wink:

LOL too true! Anyways, I ended up downloading FontForge and editing the spaces in Georgia to be 20% wider. It feels a bit better than standard Georgia. The words aren’t quite so smushed together. It was actually surprisingly painless to do!

Thanks again for the pointers :slight_smile:

Now back to writing :smiley:

There are a few ways to make your modified Georgia available on your iOS Scrivener (https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ios/using-fonts-across-platforms). Problem is, I don’t know what’s going to happen with font name conflict, since there’s no way to modify the native iOS Georgia AFAIK. If you try this and run into problems please let us know your workarounds! Good luck!

Would it help, from time to time, to run a search for [space] and replace with either an [en space: u+2002] or an [em space: u+2003]?

Slàinte mhòr.

Very cool! It worked!

I’d share the edited fonts for posterity, but Georgia’s a microsoft font and I don’t want my google drive or github taken down, so I’ll just post directions for what worked for me:

Download and install a font editing program. I used FontForge.

Find the font you want to edit. In my case it was Georgia. I’m on mac, so these were in /Library/Fonts. In that directory, I found “Georgia.ttf,” “Georgia Italic.ttf,” “Georgia Bold.ttf,” and “Georgia Bold Italic.ttf.” These are what you want to edit in your font editor.

For each file:

Open the .ttf file in fontforge, and find the space character. It’s just left of the exclamation mark and just right of 0x1F (space is 0x20). Select it and open the Metrics>Set Width in the menu bar. Change the width to whatever you want, e.g. Scale Width By: 120% to make the spaces 20% wider.

Then change the font name so you can save it. In the menu bar, go to Element>Font Info. I’m not sure which of these steps were necessary since I was operating by guesswork, so in the PS Names tab, i changed “FontName” “Family Name” and “Name for Humans.” In the TTF Names, I changed “Family”, “Fullname” and “UniqueID.” Click OK. I think you need to be sure Family to be the same for each of your bold/regular/italics/bolditalics files so your software knows its the same font.

Then save your edited files via the menu bar in File>Generate Fonts. There’s a dropdown for file type. Select TrueType. For the location, find your home directory (~), and within that there’s another Library folder. Save it in “~/Library/Fonts/whateveryouwant/”. There were warnings at this step, but I ignored them ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Do that for each of the bold, regular, italics, and bold italics files and your programs should be able to find the fonts. In Scrivener, this meant going to the font menu and clicking “Show more fonts” to find my new ones.

Then to make them available on iOS, put these new fonts in dropbox by following the directions Silverdragon linked above.

I was guessing at how to do this, so maybe not all steps are necessary, but this worked for me. I think the wider spaces make it much more readable for writing and editing. Hope this helps other procrastinators in the future! And thanks again, Silverdragon for the help and tips :smiley:

Welcome!

… and I’ll consider modifying the dashes in Fantasque, now that you’ve gotten me thinking about it, you evil person. :wink:

Yes, this is an evil thread, a wicked thread. Never in a million years would it have occurred to me to edit a font to make it “better”, and now I can think of nothing else. :smiling_imp: