Width of Editor Panel?

Hello,

I’m using Scrivener along side Circus Ponies Notebook on my oh-so-nice 24" monitor. I have the binder and inspector windows (tabs?) closed in Scrivener so only the editor pane is showing. However, I have quite a bit of white space on the right-hand side of the editor pane. Is there a way to make allow the lines of text to expand to fill all the available space?

Thanks,

~A

One thing you can do is press Cmd-Ctrl-Hyphen. This will resize the window to match your preferences for editor width, which can be set up in the general preferences. It is useful to use this method, because this shortcut and preference will also account for Binder and Inspector widths if you have them open. So it is easy to get the window to a size which will make your editor exactly how you prefer it.

If you just want a text window with a variable width editor, though, try turning off “Fixed Width” in general preferences. It is right next to the default width setting.

Another thing: It almost sounds like you’d prefer Full Screen. Have you tried using that feature instead of manually adjusting the main editor in these ways? Full screen mode is designed to give you a text-only, no-distractions way of writing, without having to constantly mess around with the main editing window.

Amberv,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to solve the problem by using the ruler.

Thanks,
~A

I bet the file was imported from Word - I have found a lot of Word files to that when imported into a program using the Apple text system (Scrivener, TextEdit etc) and need the ruler altering.
Best,
Keith

Keith,

Now that I think about it for a minute, you are probably right about the import.

Have a good one,

~A

Is there a way of setting default widths for binder and inspector too so that I don’t have to manually resize with that keyboard shortcut when I turn them off and on? One of my new year’s resolutions for 2009 is to be even lazier I’m afraid…

There’s no default width but the inspector and binder will reopen using the last width they had before being closed (provided the window is still big enough to accommodate that).
All the best,
Keith