Width of Inspector and L-Line in Scrivenings

Two minor questions:

1. Can the inspector pane/synopsis card be widened to the left as I am able to do on the Windows version? When I try this on Mac, it doesn’t move.
  2. I set Scrivenings mode to divide the editor documents by a solid line–but I’m seeing only an “L” on one side and a backwards “L” on the other. I’m not sure that it’s formatting correctly.

Thank you.

Missy

Yes, absolutely - it works exactly the same as on the Windows version. Just drag the dividing line to the left, or the three bars in the inspector footer bar on the left of the notes icon. The window needs to be wide enough to allow room for the inspector to get any larger, though.

You must have turned that on deliberately, as the “L” dividers are not on by default. To use a more obvious line, go to the “Formatting” pane of the Preferences and turn off “Separate scrivenings with single line breaks”.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,
I just tested out (again) the widening of inspector on the Mac versus my XP. On the Mac, what happens when I try to widen it further to the left, is that the cursor changes to a vertical line on the left and an arrow pointing right. I guess that is telling me it won’t go to the left. So what this does is my inspector window document notes stay in the far right of the screen. I am new to Mac-so I tried various areas to try to widen it–such as the three line bar you mention. On the Windows version-the document notes stretch all the way across the screen if I want them to.
To look at this issue in Mac in a positive–it has forced me to write more in the editor–as I was using doc. notes too much. However, I don’t use my right eye so it would be nice to bring doc notes more to the left.
2. Regarding the L lines, yes I did set it for single lines–thinking that meant the solid line–so I just adjusted it back. Thank you.
All the best to you, also Keith. Thank you so much for developing Scrivener. What a wonderful way to make a living–creating a program/tool which helps people get into that happy creative flow. :smiley:

If there is no arrow pointing left, then it means that there is no room for the inspector to get any wider in that direction. Each view has a minimum width - the editors, binder and inspector all have a minimum width because if they got smaller than that then controls would start going missing or off screen. You just need to widen the window or reduce the width of the binder to make some room for the inspector. If you have both editors open in a vertical split on a small screen, then there won’t be as much room for the inspector as if you are on a large screen or if you have only one editor open.

And yes, it is a nice way to make a living, I have to admit. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

I wonder if it’s a bug.
I have 23 inches of actual screen (27 inch monitor). The inspector does not widen beyond 6 inches.
That leaves 17 inches for either the editor with the binder turned off or for the binder and editor.

The binder on the left, however, can widen up to 14 and a half inches.

I tried various views and combinations and also tried moving the cursor in all the corners-but it doesn’t widen. It functions differently from the Windows version.

It’s definitely not a major issue, but it just would help to see it better if I could widen it more to the left.

There is also a maximum inspector size, so you might just be at the maximum width of the inspector. It isn’t intended to be able to go as wide as the editors, as it is an inspector, and if it got too wide, some of the controls would get pushed off the bottom because of the various resizing that goes on. So it sounds as though you already have it at its maximum width if its around six inches - not a bug, but intended behaviour.
All the best,
Keith

Thank you, Keith. I think I was thrown off because it’s a bit different in Windows versus Mac.
Windows (I measured later) also has a limit with how far the inspector expands. But it expands to 10 inches (on my screen) versus 6 inches for the Mac.
However, I’ve been reading David Hewson’s book on Writing a Novel using Scrivener and he gives such good advice about how he uses various fields–that I don’t need such a wide inspector after all.
To write more detailed notes about specific parts of the text he uses the keyboard shortcut: Command, shift, * (asterisk) to bring up a comments sidebar.
I like the idea of using the cards as synopsis, the doc notes (as he suggested) for more general questions about the piece and the comments sidebar for more detailed comments.
I can also use control, command * (asterisk) and enter footnotes–and do this all in full screen, all very cool.
I write back and forth between word doc and Scrivener. I’ve been on Word so long–and Scrivener is new. I import the file to bring it into Scrivener, but to get the doc back to Word, I copy and paste. Word puts the scrivener footnotes in the proper footnote location and it puts the comments within the text at the various spots where I wrote them. This works okay for my transit system. Back and forth.
Missy