Will S. stay compatible with G5 / 10.5.8 for a few years?

Hi all,
I’m loving what I’m seeing about Scrivener’s plot windows and research tools. But before I dive in and commit, I’m probably going to stick with my G5 for a few years yet. (I inherit the hand-me-downs from my graphic designer wife. :wink: ) That means in a few years I’ll be using an industrial strength BIG mac. But until then, I’m stuck with my G5. That is, unless buying Scrivener suddenly turns me into the next J.K.Rowling. :smiley: :wink:

So what do you think? Is G5 at end-of-life for Scrivener yet? Or has this been mentioned anywhere?

Cheers.

It is still supported, but we make no promises about continuing support in perpetuity. It is already considerably more difficult to support it than it was just a couple of years ago. Apple is very deliberately pushing developers away from multi-OS support, and you have to jump through hoops to keep all but your minority bleeding-edge friendly customers happy. For now, Keith has a system that makes this fairly easy to do. It’s more of a pain than it was, but it’s doable. Who knows what it will be like next year though, or two years from now.

But the good news is that the software is quite stable at this point and also quite full of features. What you buy today should most certainly be everything you need to write many books with, for many years, even if you never again get the chance to update it. I think it’s often easy to forget that if you buy a working configuration right now, a lack of support going forward for that configuration does not necessarily mean that it ceases to be functional. You can go on using a thing until it breaks, which could be a very long time indeed. It’s only once you start messing with the configuration that it is liable to fall apart and need continuing support. Installing the latest and most fragile operating system release, for instance, is a classic way to break a working configuration. :slight_smile:

Thanks, great answer. With such a great compile feature that can send all my work to simple text or Word, it’s not like my writing is trapped in there. Good point! I can just use this software as long as my computer works and then, one sunny day, get my next hand-me-down Mac from my graphic designer wife.

Or maybe even publish my children’s book and just buy my own computer in my own right! :laughing:

Precisely, and the project format is in fact designed very carefully and deliberately to be future-proof and open. Say in a worst case scenario you end up in 15 years with these old projects you never exported, and you can’t get a working copy of Scrivener running (of course, nobody would want to see a future like that, but I’m just being hypothetical here). Worst case, you could dig into the project package (right-clicking on a bundle and choosing “Show Package Contents” in Finder lets you do this) and you’ll find XML and RTF files. The XML files are all carefully designed to be human readable even to someone that doesn’t really know what XML is. With a little study they could be figured out and everything extracted and pieced back together.

But that’s worst case. Compiling, and File/Export/Files... are what you really want to do to a project when you are done with it. That ensures you’ll always have normal files and a compiled product even if the .scriv project file is some day no longer accessible.

I would just add that it is highly likely that when version 3.0 comes out, it will drop support for earlier platforms (for PPC and for 10.4 and 10.5, and maybe even for 10.6 given that we haven’t started work on 3.0 yet beyond throwing ideas around and drawing up a list of features we want to get in there, so it is at least a year away and probably two years away). However, just as we’ve done with 1.x, we’ll keep 2.0 around on our website as a download, so if you buy from us direct (rather than from the App Store, where it’s not possible to keep older versions around), you should be guaranteed to have access to a version of Scrivener that works on your machine for as long as we’re around (and longer, if you keep a copy of 2.x backed up somewhere - not that we’re planning on going anywhere :slight_smile: ).

All the best,
Keith