Will the Find/Replace facility be fixed before release?

Since this is the last beta before release, I’m wondering if the search and replace facility will change before release. I see two problems with it.

1. While search/replace seems to work on multiple selected files, there is no indication that it has worked.
  2. The Find option doesn’t work at all on multiple selected files.

These things really limit the usefulness of the facility.

Cheers – Larry

Hi,

There IS something visible…
Look at the character count or the word count : it helps is most cases…
You do not always replace by the same number of characters, do you ?

That’s a good idea…sometimes. But yes, I do often search/replace the same number of characters. I really think that is besides the point, however :slight_smile:

In the end, not being able to do a Find throughout a novel divided into chapter files is a far bigger problem.

Cheers — Larry

Hi,

I have no problem doing a find through a whole project… except that it is annoying not to know (it took me a while to think to have a look at character count).

I’ve seen a post on something more risky : Replacing a word by the same characters, with some others added, will result in never ending repetitions…

Such as : go > going > goinging > goinginging > goinginginging a.s.o.

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/bug-with-find-replace/12028/1]

To clarify for those who haven’t seen the linked post, the go > going > goinging issue isn’t that Scrivener keeps replacing infinitely. It’s just that if the user doesn’t realize the replacement has occurred and so clicks “replace” again, thinking it hadn’t worked, then Scrivener of course runs the replace again with the odd result.

I can confirm that the find facility does find the first instances of the target word, and then will find the next when required, and so on until the end of the document. This works for all selected documents, e.g. a whole book.

What the find facility doesn’t do is move the cursor, or focus, to the target word in the selected documents. I have to scroll to the highlighted target word to see if it the one I wish to change.

Example: if I search for the word ‘teaspoon’ in all my ‘chapters’ I start the find action but I get no feedback - I have to scroll through the entire multiple selection text until I find the highlighted ‘teaspoon’. I then ‘next’ to find the next instance of ‘teaspoon’ - and again I have to scroll onward until the next highlighted ‘teaspoon’. If ‘teaspoon’ is the last word in the last chapter I have to scroll through all the text to find it.

I look forward to buying the ‘proper’ version of Scrivener (and I am not obsessed with teaspoons, honest).

I have to concur with DiscoveredJoys on this one.

Although Scrivener will carry out a global find/replace across several files, the user user sometimes needs to be presented with the occurrence to decide whether to replace the term or not.

For example, if you want to change your draft from the third to the first person, you can’t do a global find/replace of “she” to “I” or “her” to “me” since there are other instances of “she” and “her” that relate to other characters which you’d want to preserve.

It’s important to be able to decide on a case-by-case basis which instances need changing. This is especially true of changing “Karen” to “I” as you end up changing “Karen’s” to “I’s” since Scrivener also does not treat “I’m” or “I’ve” or “Karen’s” as a whole word since it contains punctuation.

One of the big boon’s of Scrivener is the ability to break a single file into smaller chunks that you can move around, but still have the benefit of working the document as a whole via Scrivenings mode. Unfortunately the find/replace feature does not treat the separate chunks as a single searchable file (except in a global replace).

Is this being addressed as a bug?

There are two separate find/replace functions, so the answer is slightly mixed.

For the Project Replace, this is an operation that happens in your whole project–you can narrow the scope a bit, but it gives you the option of affecting not only your documents but your synopses, titles, and snapshots. For this operation, there’s no “view each instance” option, so if you’re not sure you want to do it, you should make a backup first or use the regular find/replace.

The basic find/replace can apply to multiple selected files, and that will give you the option of jumping to each instance and choosing whether or not to replace it. In your example, this sounds like what you’d want–you’re really dealing with changes in the actual manuscript, going from third to first person, and since you’re hopping through each instance anyway just doing the titles and synopses manually isn’t really any additional work. At present there is a bug with this, which is what was mentioned above, where the “jump” doesn’t work right so you have to scroll down manually to find the next highlighted instance. So that should get fixed, yes.

Hope that made sense!

Makes perfect sense, thank you, MM.
Awaiting the official release with bated breath!

Ditto!

Lee