We have just launched the update for Windows 1.2.1 and I wanted to let you know. If you are running Scrivener 1.0.3, you can update to the latest version by choosing ‘Check for Updates…’ from the Help menu, then simply follow the upgrade prompts.
I cant open my Scrivener after installing the update. I get a pop up box saying “The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail”
I am also having this “side by side configuration” message - total show-stopper. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the version from the website, yet still getting the same error message, so figured the update must have changed settings in the registry. Have attempted to roll back my system with a restore from prior to the update, but the restore won’t complete successfully (never had this problem before). Also, the shadow copy of Scrivener generates the same error message. Now I’m stuck and watching my approaching deadlines with trepidation…
Same Problem here on W7 64bit.
Attempted all methods offered for instal.
Attempted installing in both Programs and Programs (X86) Folders Note: not at the same time
Running registry cleaner between last attempts.
Trying to “Deactivate” bought up an error message, Copy of message attached.
Because I had an unresolved problem with installing 1.0.3 on an X.P. PC this w7 machine has had no Beta’s installed.
I have been able to re instal 1.0.3 without issues so will keep it installed until I see an answer
On Vista PC the upgrade installed over 1.0.3 without issues.
Installed from 1.03 without any problems. Dead easy. Maybe because I have Visual Studio 2010 installed?
Dunno, tried some things, very fast, very nice.
A big thanks for all your hard work Lee!
PS: What I especially noted was how fast Scrivener now display the draft folder with all masses of text inside. It was considerably slower in the beta.
What I am missing is a quick way to find the correct document/folder in the binder when I click somewhere in the editor. Would be nice to have an option to highlight the part in the binder with a shortcut or with a right-mouse-button option.
Could it be a windows 7 rights problem? I know when I once installed MikTex I had the same behavior. It installed fine and then suddenly it reverted the install again. I had to install it as administrator and then it installed correctly.
I noticed there is a backup folder in the Scrivener folder. The backup Scrivener.exe works just fine.
I’ve sent an email to Scrivener Windows support already.
I opened Scrivener, allowed the auto-update to run, and when it finished with no errors, I attempted to open my latest project. I have attached the error message as a JPG.
Opening Scrivener from the start menu also yields a similar error.
Just thought I’d post a heads up to the community.
edit: Added eventlog for side-by-side error.
Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture=“x86”,publicKeyToken=“1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=“win32”,version=“9.0.21022.8” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
I did a little more research on the error message:
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way
It lead me to the following link on Microsoft that makes absolutely no sense to me. (I’m an author not a programmer.) I have no idea how to change various C++ switches. But it would appear that y’all have a bug. Here’s the link:
For those of you seeing the “side-by-side configuration” error, the issue can be resolved by downloading the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)” at microsoft.com/en-us/download … px?id=5582.
I have installed the update, I use windows 7 on a dell 19 laptop that is about two years old. I have not had any error messages and it seems to be working fine, I hope I have not tempted fate by saying that lol
I can’t install the update at all.
It goes to installing update – and tries to create a folder on Q:\ – which happens to be my USB thumb drive.
There is NO way to change it, I’ve taken ALL the Q:\ references out of the registry and it STILL wants to install to my USB drive.
TBH – Thank GOD it tried to install there. After seeing all the problems people are having, I’m glad it refused to install because the USB wasn’t plugged in.
I’m on a deadline, and being unable to get into the software would be a disaster.
Right now I’ve compiled the novel as a “Just in case” but I can’t risk updates like this taking out the entire program.