Windows 1.2.1 Update Released 18th June 2012

Because a previous issue with this was left unresolved on another computer I am being super cautious. My apologies for this.
Realizing 1.0.3 is again installed without problem see Post 9 for full details.
My Question is simple. if installing the Microsoft C++ update needs to be done should it be the 32 bit or 64 bit Version remembering I am running W764bit with 1.0.3 installed and operating without issue.

Thanks in anticipation

New manual for 1.2.1 Windows version says anything can now be printed using control p or file print, EVEN OUTLINE OR CORKBOARD displays. Still doesn’t work for me. If I open a corkbord or outline screen, it prints a blank document. Hopefully I’m doing something wrong.

I really need to print outlines and corkboard cards. It looks like you fixed this in this version but why won’t it work?

I’m getting a different set of issues with this update…
Opened the program and it automatically told me to update, so I did. Now when I click on my project file, I get an error that says, “The file is not a Scrivener project file. Please, select a valid Scrivener project file.” I’ve been using the project file since I first downloaded the program. If I manually open Scrivener itself, I can open the project using the same file. But when I try to make a new project folder, it still gives me the same error when I click on the project file. Even the project it makes you create when you manually start Scrivener won’t open when you click the project file.

Should I go back to the previous version? And will I get other problems if I work on my project and save it, then try to open it on my other computer without updating?

Can you please point me to where this reference came from? That is a mistake, it would have been featured in the What’s New section if we’d added something that large in.

Just to let you know, I pulled down the latest full version (1.2.2) and installed – no glitches. :slight_smile:
Thank you!
Back to that deadline with me…

gmaguire wrote:New manual for 1.2.1 Windows version says anything can now be printed using control p or file print, EVEN OUTLINE OR CORKBOARD displays. Still doesn’t work for me. If I open a corkbord or outline screen, it prints a blank document.

Amber V’s response:
Can you please point me to where this reference came from? That is a mistake, it would have been featured in the What’s New section if we’d added something that large in.

gmaguire’s reply:
See the bottom of page 175 in the Scrivener Manual:
"There are two ways of printing in Scrivener. One operates as an
extension of the compile feature itself, and is the preferred way to print proofs or final
submission-ready manuscripts. The second method lets you print quick one-offs of any
file in the binder, print index cards off of a corkboard, or information from an outliner."

Thank you, got it.

I ran headfirst into this today on a fresh install of Win7 (64) and fresh install of Scrivener. The provided suggestion fixed it, without having to re-install Scrivener.

I’m having the same problem. In addition, I couldn’t properly save my work after the update. I kept getting an error message when I tried to export or backup my work. I can’t provide specifics about the error message because I closed Scrivener, and now I cannot get the program to open at all.

Can I remove Scrivener with the update, and download the pre-update version of Scrivener. I wasn’t experiencing any problems with the pre-update version.

I’m using Windows XP.

There is actually nothing wrong with your project, and the bug is easy to work-around. Just make sure Scrivener is already running in the background when you try to open your project, or open it from within Scrivener—either way is fine. We’re working on getting this fixed post haste; there were a few other critical issues that needed addressing first though.

Update: I did a system restore to a date prior to the Scrivener update. I’m back to Scrivener version 1.0.3. Everything is working now. I can now open Scrivener again, and I can export and backup my work.

Hi! DON’T install any of the last few day’s upgrades if you’re running Windows 7.
Wait until 1.3 or something. I have ran into a ****load of problems on BOTH computers I have running Scrivener these past few days. I tried reverting, uninstalling, upgrading the C++ library… Nothing works.
As for now, I have to start using my trusty old Word for Windows again. Just my two cents.

Well, to offer a counter example: most of my test machines are Win7 and I haven’t had a single problem with any of the updates. I wouldn’t say the issues you ran into are that widespread, to an entire operating system. There would be quite a bit more activity on the forums were that so.

I’m sorry you’ve run into issues though, have you tried downgrading to 1.0.3 so you can at least get back to work?

Hi!

Yes, I have.
I know that when I see 20 people posting about problems, that means that many, many more have problems. Have you been beta testing any of these past upgrades? How many beta testers do you have?

The beta test has been publicly available for months now, so there really is no way to know how many beta testers there are.

Not that the plural of anecdote is data, but my fiance has had no issues with 1.2.1 and 1.2.3 and Windows 7. The people for whom Scrivener is working perfectly aren’t generally going to rave about it on the Tech Support forum. :wink:

I have the identical problem with Version 1.2.3.0 and Windows XP. It’s annoying, but the workaround is to start with New Project and select Open Recent or Open Existing Project. I can live with that until they get it fixed. It does seem odd, though, that a bug such as this one made it through the beta tests.

I tried a fresh reinstall on a third W7 computer, and I got the same Runtime-message as Thinkerslow got (page 1).
This is, by the way, the same box that pops up on my two other computers.
So - No go!

Re: Runtime error

Postby Rayg on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:32 pm
Try This and reinstal if neccessary.

Re: Windows 1.2.1 Update Released 18th June 2012

Postby Eddie Tex on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm
For those of you seeing the “side-by-side configuration” error, the issue can be resolved by downloading the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)” at microsoft.com/en-us/download … px?id=5582.

Eddie Tex

Platform: Windows

And yes it is the (x86) package that is required if not installed even on a w7 64bit OS

When you see 20 people posting, that means that 20 people have had problems. Generally speaking, if you pay for something and it doesn’t work, you contact tech support. Considering the user base for this software, 20 is a very low percentage. It just looks more because, as AmberV said, those thousands (tens of thousands?) for whom it is working fine tend not to post “all ok” messages.

That’s not to belittle the issues you and a few others are experiencing, just to give some persepctive.

Yes we have, and there are lots of us. We donated a lot of time for free to help the software development effort, and we are all upset that you are having propblems. I guess none of us had the computer configuration that caused this issue. :frowning:

It does, but that’s the nature of the beast, unfortunately. When you move from small sample sizes to larger sample sizes (ie numbers of users), things with a small probability of occuring have a greater opportunity to impact someone and become ‘visible’.

So yes, there are a couple of issues that are affecting a small number of users with v1.2.1 at the moment. The good news, however, is:

1. If the issues are going to hit you on v1.2.1, you’ll know about it pretty quickly.
  2. There are workarounds in place to help you access projects in v1.2.1 if that is the particular issue you have had.
  3. You can always just re-install v1.0.3 and continue with that version.
  4. v1.2 has some great new features and performance improvements. When you are able to move to it, it’ll be worth it.