Windows Bar Eye-sore Still here?

The windows bar is still present in full screen mode. This makes any kind of dark theme pretty redundant as iIdon’t want to write with the distractingly bright bar eye-sore at the top of my screen or have a white bar burn in on my monitor.

Is this really that difficult to remove? Can’t its removal just be an option. And so if folks really wan to keep it for some unknown reason, they can? I don’t understand why it is still there.

Most other softwares have updated to remove this bar. Please catch up Scriv!

What is it that you refer to as a “windows bar”, the Taskbar that runs along the bottom of the screen (by default, though perhaps you moved yours to the top)? I don’t see anything related to Windows in “full screen” (Composition Mode?) though, so it’s hard to know what you mean or what you’d like for us to change or fix.

1 Like

Hi Amber. I mean this. So not composition mode, but normal full screen app mode.

Thanks.

Most apps have the function to view proper full screen and get rid of this bar nowadays. like this…

with bar

without bar (full screen)

Same problem with Scapple, but worse, because there is no dark mode - again, something that really needs updating for current standards.

That’s quite a big chunk of wasted space at the top.
I’d also like the option to disable the zoom slider bars that appear when zoomed in too, as I never use them, and wager most folks don’t, so again, wasted space and eye-sore.

Thanks.

Sorry but seems picky to complain, in windows will have task bar visible as well and if more than one monitor then multiple screens to look at, Use composition mode if so easily distracted. You should be able to focus on what is your current area of work without worrying about other things.

2 Likes

Hi GoalieDad.

Most feedback and improvement suggestions can be described as ‘picky’, but we’re trying to improve an already great product. If we didn’t, and just settled, we’d still be using pen and paper now. Or mud in caves…Anyhoo, if an improvement can be made, why not implement it? I think you’d be hard pressed to argue this wouldn’t be an improvement. I guess it’s just how difficult it is to code in - but other apps seem to manage it fine.

It’s not about being distracted; rather it’s about an uneconomical use of space, an unappealing aesthetic (bright blot in otherwise dark canvass), potentially harmful aspect (monitor burn in can happen), and just a suggestion for a better, more efficient UI, in-keeping with other apps on the market.

I have multiple screens and many apps that do not have the windows bar visible (see screenshot above, taken from one of a multi monitor setup).

I don’t use composition mode as I need constant access to notes and navigation. I seldom write in one continuous, linear flow. Not everyone can be Jack Kerouac.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Got it! Yeah that’s a side effect of there actually not being a real “full screen” in the sense that you are using it. You are referring to the simple “Maximize Window” capability that most all windows have.

We do indeed have a real full screen treatment on the list of things we’d like to do—it is something available in the Mac version, though to be fair that is a capability of the operating system rather than something individual software developers have to invent on their own. So know it’s something we’d like to improve, at any rate.

Meanwhile, you aren’t stuck with that shock white title bar by any means. I don’t recall the precise checklist for changing it, but it is possible to customise the colour of it. That’s one of the first things I did when I was setting up a screenshot environment for the user manual. You will note that where you can see the window title bar in screenshots, it is a dark brown (much like this forum’s dark mode) rather than white. For one thing I find the white very ugly, but it also doesn’t work well on a white background, for screenshots.

1 Like

Hi Amber,

Got you. Thanks for explaining. So will this feature be in the next Scriv for Windows do you think? The other app I pictured for example of full screen in windows is Nuke, in case you/developers wanted to check it out. Free to download.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to change the Windows bar colour though. Could you point it out if you come across please?

Cheers.

I will say when something is going to be available in an upcoming update if we have it already done and tested.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to change the Windows bar colour though. Could you point it out if you come across please?

I use Linux, not Windows, and I don’t remember precisely as it was some time ago. However it looks like if I search the Web for “change Windows 10 title bar color” I see a wide variety of written tutorials, videos and so forth.

1 Like

Oh you mean change the actual menu bar in Windows OS? I can’t do that as it interferes with other apps. I need it to be in the app itself.

Thanks for the updates.

Looked at what amber said and this works in windows 11 or windows 10

Now, you can simply open the Settings app, navigate to Personalization > Colors, and activate the “Show color on Start, taskbar, action center, and title bar” option. (Choose custom colors and then choose color choice and have show accent color in title bar clicked on.)

This gives you the option of picking the color for the title bar and did this for scrivener changing title bar to gray to match my current theme. When try to take screen shot changes title bar color

This also means if I want to artificially darken the top menu bar of one app (Scriv) I have to darken everything, including accent colour as you say, which means my accent colour throughout my PC UI will be black. Not a very useful accent colour, as it is used to highlight things.

I’d prefer if Scriv devs would put this function into he app itself, as many others do.

Hi Amber,

Is it possible to put this on some kind of definite list though? As all the reasons I mention for requesting it are pretty solid, and I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn’t want this option, especially in the eco age we are now in.
Currently the dark mode isn’t fully dark, which makes me worry for my monitor, eyes, and energy usage. I think this is a small but important ‘bug’ (because it is making dark mode not functional) to attend to.

I did a gray for light theme but could do dark if theme of computer dark, for now pick which is most important program to fix to decrease distraction.

Pleased that that works for you GoalieDad. It won’t work for me, however, because I’m not going to start altering my global UI for one app, as that will quickly become unmanageable (imagine if you altered a global UI element for each app you used), and as mentioned it renders the highlight function a bit redundant.

I prefer to do things properly, as opposed to stick bandages on. In this case, I think it is best and proper for Scriv dev team to implement this fairly ubiquitous and routine aspect into the app.

I’m happy to wait rather than mess around with my setup.

Thanks for the advice though.

Just FYI, L&L doesn’t give any timeline or ETA for requested/planned features. It could be next week, next year, next major revision, or never.

Speaking only for myself, I would personally expect that there will not be any work toward overriding the default Windows title bar behavior, but instead if anything happens, that it will happen if and when that full screen treatment actually shows up.

For now as a practical workaround, you may want to see about altering your OS colors a bit so as to find a happy compromise. Unfortunately, the only way I know in Windows 10 and 11 to customize the inactive title bar color is through direct editing of the Registry.

It is not normally present, but if you create it and give it a six-digit hexadecimal value (your normal RGB color values used in HTML), the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\AccentColorInactive DWORD value will allow some Windows applications (such as Edge, PowerShell, etc.) to display that color when they are not the active window. However, this does not work immediately with all applications – neither RegEdit (an old Win32 application) nor Scrivener picked up this value until after I logged out of my session and then back in.

I was actually minorly annoyed by that white accent bar for non-active titles – thanks for prodding me into researching how to fix it! I went with #999999 (a lighter gray) so that it will work with the rest of the color choices that I use no matter which dark theme I am using.

The process for making this registry change can be found in this article from HowToGeek for those who are interested.

3 Likes

Wow. Thanks for all that devinganger. Good digging there.

Any developments on this yet @AmberV ?

As stated previously, they are not likely to respond to timeline queries – other than to say “the bug is filed and in our database” – until you see the bug listed as fixed in an update.