Wish: labeling snapshots

OK, here’s another wish for the post-1.0 basket: the ability to tag a given snapshot with some sort of summary text.

So here’s the scenario. Let’s say you do periodic snapshotting as sort of a backup mechanism. If you need to go back to a previous version of a file, you likely won’t remember the date associated with that version. It might be easier to find things based on events – say, a big change you made after you discussed things with your editor. If you could give each snapshot a short text label (e.g., “Before editor rework”), this literary archeology would be much easier.

Lorne

This is something I’ve wanted too. My work around is to put an annotation at the very top of the document, describing the process a bit before making a snapshot, and then deleting the annotation (although sometimes I find it useful to leave it in the editor anyway for a while, especially if I am just going through and assigning things to do, rather than doing them as I spot them).

I know 1.0 just came out, and that there are no plans to change things for a while, but just a vote for this feature as well. It would really make Scrivener have the first basic, user-friendly versioning system, on a per-file and per-project level, of any writing system I’ve used. Without a way of annotating changes, it’s kind of hard to remember which snapshot includes what. And as a writer, that’s important. Thanks.

This has been in the back of my mind as well, especially using snapshots as a way of tracking changes when exchanging drafts with my boss (make changes, take a snapshot, send changed project file). Being able to label the snapshot as, say, “$USER changes to $SECTION $DATE” would be nice.

So I second, er fourth, :slight_smile:

Yes, this is still on the “future” list, but it won’t be happening for a while.
Best,
Keith

you might want to experiment with punakea to add these attributes on the fly…not sure if it will solve your problem or fit the bill, but worth a look:

nudgenudge.eu/punakea