Wish list: Character Sketch Tree + A few things id like to see

I don’t know if you ever intend to have a Scapple 2.0 but these are just a few ideas

I have been using Scrivener for some time now and have been using it to write a text book and a lesson plan. But the topic is so large that I needed a mapping tool to organize my thoughts. Scapple is a nice program but there are a few small things that I would like to see.

1). As in Scrivener you have a Character Sketch template with Synopsis, Place for a picture, Notes and more. Id like to have something similar in Scapple so that I can build out a tree of characters or events and there relationships to each other.
2). In the same grain of thought Id like to be able to bend and adjust the connecting nodes between the text and images so they are just not straight lines.
3). I would also like to arrange elements to snap to a grid or arrange them in a vertical or horizontal line.
4). Id would like to have a graduated scale so that I can order things say by time or however someone want to organize an series of events or major plot points.

I love Scrivener but ideas are not linear and I have to start in all sorts of places and jump around a lot. Scapple would be ideal if it just had a few extra things that could work with Scrivener.

Thank you for your time. Please keep making great products.

Hi,

Here’s a way you can accomplish suggestion #1: Create a character template mind map, then do a Save As for a new character, or just select and copy the nodes.

Here’s my template:

And here it is filled out with a character:

I like the template file approach as well. And in fact since I often make Scapple files with the intention of having them hosted in Scrivener, seeing as how Scrivener has file templates, try putting your pre-fab .scap file into the project’s document templates folder. :slight_smile:

Another approach I take for template structures inside of boards is to have an area way off to the side that has pre-fabs meant to be duplicated. What I do is put a background shape around the whole thing and set it to magnetic. Then when I need a copy of this structure, I hold down the Z key, which zooms all the way out, and then drag the structure from anywhere within the magnetic background shape. As I drag, I hold down the Option key, which creates a duplicate of what I’m dragging. I drop it, and then let go of the Z key, which zooms me back in to wherever the mouse is (usually where I dropped the structure).